Removing a Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps. My property has a chimney that is part removed on the ground floor. I need to fully remove the Chimney to make BC happy.

The Chimney is in the part of that roof that is original house and does not have any felt. I have a plan for later in the year when the weather is better to felt this part of the roof and also replace sofits etc.

What I would like to do is start on removing the chimney now. I am thinking about removing the tiles from around the chimney from the loft then removing the chimney to ceiling level and doing a temporary repair on the hole.

Just wanted to know peoples thoughts on this? I realise I should do it properly and fork out for Scaffold but if I can put that money to good use somewhere else I would like to.

Any ideas on patching the hole would be good too. I was going to try a piece of board covered in a tarp and pass the tarp under the tiles to let the rain run off.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as any repair will need to be carried out from the outside I can't see the point of a tempoary botch when putting a few laths and tiles up there won't be either too expensive or time consuming, and it'll be a better job too.

What size is this chimney? how many vents?

removing a chimneyhead without a scaffold is foolhardy to say the least.

if it has a coping stone/chimneypot they are liable to topple you off the roof by their sheer weight.

why not cover over felt,batten,slate/tile the void instead of using a tarp it wont take much longer.

EDIT

just re-read your post, you plan to go through the roof from the attic!
oh well good luck. :eek:

Problem with that is that other than a ladder I don't have the equipment to work on the roof safely. I have worked on other roofs but not this old and with this type of tile.

I can see where you're going on the proper repair. I will get a quote for scaffold but I can only assume it's not cheep and can almost guarantee that the weekend I get it put up for it will rain.

Sponsored Links
What size is this chimney? how many vents?
Two vents not that big, would count bricks but it's raining.

removing a chimneyhead without a scaffold is foolhardy to say the least.
I couldn't agree more.

EDIT

just re-read your post, you plan to go through the roof from the attic!
oh well good luck. :eek:

Cheers

I am thinking know. (won't know till I can get up there and have a look) I may be able to re tile the hole from the inside, I won't be able to felt but then what's the point 60% of the roof is un-felted and like I said I plan to do that later. Will see where I can pick up tiles from and get all the stuff in anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back