Sealing chimney hole in roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am all set to remove the chimney from my bungalow. Does any one have advice about how to seal the hole in the roof it will create? It only needs to be temporary as in a few months work will start on an extension which will extend the roofline over where the chimney hole will be. But I want to remove the chimney now as it is in the way of renovation works.
Thanks for your help
Tom

Sponsored Links
Ideally you will need to have some more tiles the same and some batons to bridge the gap. How wide is your chimney?

Sponsored Links
Cut back battens to half on rafters either side of chimney,Add new felt over hole,join up new tile batten to match original and marry in new tiles,How far you taking the chimney down

I am going to remove the chimney completely, all the way down to ground level.

Is it possible to leave the felt exposed and not to tile? This is only a temporary fix, the bungalow is unoccupied and it's pretty much a building site anyway! I just need a cheap, DIY solution that will keep the water out for a few months.

Thanks

yes just make it lager than the hole take a tile of each side, pin felt down then put tiles back then put a couple of bits of baton over hole.

As catlad says.You can even throw a tarp over the hole when your done if you want to be ultra save about water getting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back