removing a chipboard floor with tiles on it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Im currently refurbishing a bathroom and have now got to the point where i need to replace the floor because it is chipboard and had soaked up water and rotted away in a couple of places and also because removing the tiles that are on it is basically destroying the floor anyway since they are so totally well stuck on.
Talking to some of the guys in the tiling area and they said id be best off replacing the whole floor with 25mm WBP ply as the floor being chipboard under tiles is basically asking for trouble anyway.
Seemed like a good idea and off I went to get a big crowbar to get the floor up. But its not proving all that simple. Its a slow process but I seem to be leaving some indentations on the floor joists from levering the crowbar. Taking a jig saw over it isnt an option as the tiles are on there and prevent cutting it into sections.

Another problem is that the floor doesnt stop at the walls but goes on under them in some places.

So... my question is, does anybody have any tips about how to get this bloomin floor up without going out and hiring a pneumatic drill :confused:

thanks,

Paula

Sponsored Links
I had to do this in a downstairs bathroom, luckily solid walls all round so board did not go under.

I would suggest getting a jigsaw around he perimeter of the room, tiles should lift up easy enough with a bit flat scraper and hammer.

before you put down the ply go round the perimeter of the room with noggins to support both the cut chipboards and ply, also put in additional noggins inbetween the current beams to strengthen.

//www.diynot.com/network/pody/albums/3238/13664

Thanks pody,

Yeah Im thinking Im gonna burst open a line where the tiles are grouted as best i can and use a jig saw up that line to get the floor into smaller sections then, as you say, theres nothing else for it but to jig saw around the edges too.
Gosh this job seems to turn into a bigger and bigger job at every turn.

thanks,

Paula

Hold on there !!!

You can't use a jigsaw,,, those panels are only 20mm thick and attached to floor joists and the blade in your jigsaw is about 50 or 60mm. YOu will either break your wrist or the floor joists....

Remove the tiles with a wrecking bar (crowbar) or a hammer and bolster, nothing but elbow grease required here but a must!!

Once tiles are removed, use a circular saw ( you can hire them) and set the blade depth to the floor thickness (approx 20mm) to give a neat cut around the edge of the room. It won't cut right up to skirting, it will be about an inch short. just make those edges clean and free of old adhesive then lay your ply.

Sponsored Links
Hi mac,

I wasnt just going to just whizz round the edges :LOL:

I know there are joists there and I have one hole in the floor already so I intended to start fron there and make a cut along the gap between the joists as far as my arm can reach under to tell that there is nothing underneath like pipes or cables.
Then I was going to use the wrecking bar to lever up that section and work my way round from there.

I went out and bought a 3ft wrecking bar and a pair of gardening gloves and the guy at the checkout asked if I was going to rob a bank :D

Robbing a bank might be easier than taking that floor up lol

iff the wall runs parralel to the joists the floor may be holding it up!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back