Removing a gas fire

Jol

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you have to be corgi approved to remove a gas fire? or can I do it my self? It's an easy job and I'm resenting calling someone out to do it.
All i need is the gas pipe cutting and capping and have been quoted £35 froma local gas installer.

Sponsored Links
Changed my mind. Don't fancy the house exploding. £35 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Yeah 35 quid is a good price. On the other hand, an olive type stop end is only approx a quid. I know which I'd go for. After doing the job I would check for leaks using a paintbrush dipped in 50/50 mix washing up liquid and water, spread it all over the joint and if it's leaking it will blow bubbles in the solution. No bubbles, no gas leak. Only Corgi people should do it by law though.

Sponsored Links
obviously drying off the washing up liquid to prevent it corroding the pipe ;).....and tightness testing before and after!

How do you clean the corrosive washing up liquid from the pipework when its run down under the floorboards........... :confused:
CORGI guys are trained for a reason.

Well it shouldn't be wet enough to run anywhere otherwise lift the floorboards I suppose. You dont have to be corgi trained to know how to cap a pipe.

Agree any one can cap a gas pipe its real easy and use anything that comes to hand to do it. Over the years i have seen rubber bungs ,soap, glued caps ,push fit water fittings ,sharpened bits of wood, insulating tape and various other amazing things. Some even used the proper fittings. It never ceases to amaze me how the house holder puts there life and property at risk to save a few quid.And i have seen houses blown to bits as a result. Capping is easy doing it proper is a different matter.

You do not use washing up liquid for testing for leaks, you must use the specific leak detection fluid

People in the UK don't seem to mind spending stupid amounts of money on clothes, or cars, or buying their house, but when it comes to boilers, cylinders and the central heating people want to penny pinch and want the cheapest system possible, the boiler is the heart of your home, it will keep you warm and provide you with hot water throughout the year, these are essential requirements for life, so why do you want to save money when it comes to the more important things in life

Points taken gents, however I used to convert cars to dual fuel for a living (ie petrol/lpg) and attended the component manufacturers technical courses for fitters. Their recommended leak detector? Fairy. I kid you not, we used both steel and copper pipe and lpg pressure is far higher than domestic gas. This was 20 years ago though, so I accept practices may have changed. As for the methods Namsag witnessed, where can I get those rubber bungs from...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back