Removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken out a small wc from my hallway and the area doesn’t need 2 radiators so I was going to remove one of them.

My thoughts were to close the lock shield and valve on the radiator before this on and drain just this radiator and pipe work or would I need to drain the whole system?

Secondly the pipes are run close together so I’m not sure the best way of joining them, sure there is a way though.

Picture attached, 2 are heating pipes and the other 2 are hot and cold.

Thanks

Attachments

• 98B3AF23-34ED-4E92-8411-28F6CDD19485.jpeg
    98B3AF23-34ED-4E92-8411-28F6CDD19485.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
You'd need to drain the whole system if you want to remove the pipework as well.

Why are you wanting to join pipes in the photo?

I want to joint the pipes as we no longer need the radiator but where I’m stuck is how can you join then when they are so close

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have two options.

Easy option is to close the valves, remove the radiator and cap the valves. You can get caps from plumbers merchants. No draining required but the old radiator stubs will remain.

The proper option is to drain the system, remove the radiator and trace the pipes back. Each one will join onto a larger 22mm pipe. Cut and cap them at the "T" joint.

Hmmm shows how much I know about plumbing a central heating system, I was presuming it’s a pipe from the boiler in and out the roads and back to the boiler!

So going 1 step further giving me a 3rd option, I could drain the system and cap off the pipe under the floor allowing me to remove the pipe work down to the radiator?

Thanks

That would work but is considered bad practice. The leftover pipes between the main feed/return and the caps would be "dead legs" and can lead to airlocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back