Removing a shallow angle from skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my eagerness to get the new skirting board down in my little refurbishment I neglected to ensure I could close the door... which I can't.

Yes, it's a cock-up.

However, I'm not too bothered because it's not like I could've used my mitre saw to cut a neat 45 degree angle, it's much, much shallower than that... the area I need to remove is displayed in this picture:

skirtingchop.jpg

My question is... what tool would I be best using for that job? Should I just get my belt sander on that and blast away at it... or should I use something like this double-edge pull saw that I've seen at Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-double-edged-pull-saw-7-17tpi-9-5-241mm/33430

I would love it if some seasoned pros could give me a view on the best way to go about it.

You can laugh at me too. BTW, not the finished article with the skirting etc. - still need to tart it up - it's looking striking in the rooms I've completed.

Sponsored Links
cut the skirting vertically at a point a bit before it catches recess out the wall
or take off the back re-angle the cut end

The face looks a good 40mm off the wall; how did that happen? I've sanded much smaller protrusions with a belt sander, but if this skirting is the usual 20mm thick, and you try to do thatin situ, you're going to go through to the back, aren't you? Can you take it off?

I can't take it off, no. Gripfill and nails - nail heads punched in, filled with wood filler, sanded and painted - it's going nowhere (probably ever). :rolleyes:

The skirting is 18mm thick and it's flush against the wall - it's just that door frame that is a lot thinner than the others. It's not projecting out any further than other pieces - sorry there's no measurements on the picture (it might be misleading 'cos of that).

It's just MDF, I'm thinking belt sander... but a bit nervous about the floor.

I thought that pull saw might work well, though...

Sponsored Links
Oh I see. I was thinking it tapered in towards the top, but of course, it doesn't.

How long is that piece? I would still take it off and start again. If you sand the face of it, the moulding will recede into the chamfer that you've made, and it'll look a bit odd. If you take it off and use a fresh length, you can belt sand the *back* before you reinstall, and you'll still have the moulding.

Either that or re-make the door lining on that side and take an inch off the width of the door...

Cheers
Richard

It's 4 metres! I've only got small bits left.

I get what you mean, I'll end up sanding it back to the point where there's no snazzy profile. :cry: Maybe that's the price I need to pay - the old skirting must've only been 12mm thick or summat.

I'd not thought about finagling the door and door frame. :cautious:

Unless the door is super-narrow, or some horrible modern hollow thing, I'd be tempted by the finagling.

I take it the same issues haven't arisen at other doorways?

This is what I ended up with...

skirting2.jpg

It's by no means perfect, but I'm actually quite pleased with it. It's hardly noticeable.

you should be pleased with that job
not a criticism but a chamfer on the cut top edge would finnish it off to match the rest
but well done for not scratching the floor :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back