Removing A Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. A bit of advice for a noob if you please!

I have a leaky shower try and my suspicion is the plumbing (after a lot of deduction). I obviously need to move the tray to get to the plumbing but am a little nervous as to how to get at it. I don't know how it is held in there (It was installed 15 years ago, making me about 8 at the time) and I have heard suggestions of cement (worrying) holding it down. SO the question is, how do I get the thing out? It is made of plastic so brute force and ignorance is not my preferred method?! I have also heard of metal frames and the like inside these things so I wondered if they were somehow held down using this... An suggestions, VERY welcome. :D Thanks in advance to everyone that can help me!

Sponsored Links
afaik there is no diffinive answer each t their own.

how ever i would suggest you remove what ever you can from what ever sides you can and look.

quite often they are laid on a bed of cement as this gives overall (if you see what i mean) support

Do a test first,

Pour water inside the shower tray using a watering can or bucket to see if it's leaking, if not, no need to move the shower tray. The most common leak are sealant problem or poor grout etc.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Do a test first,

Pour water inside the shower tray using a watering can or bucket to see if it's leaking, if not, no need to move the shower tray. The most common leak are sealant problem or poor grout etc.

Been there and done that.... It is DEFINITELY the tray as pouring water directly down the plug hole from a watering can causes the leak.

There are no inspection panels on the sides at all. It is one vacuum moulded unit. Would there be wooden/metal joists in there which would be set in to the cement to hold it in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back