Removing a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

There is a badly positioned mains socket about half way up the wall in my kitchen. I don't want it there. What's the correct way to remove it. can I just take it out, tape up the wires, leaving them where they are and polyfilla over the hole in the wall?

Thanks for any help
Kingsley

Sponsored Links
It's bite the bullet time, I'm afraid. If you want to get rid of the outlet altogether, you will have to remove the whole lot, cables and all, and terminate them in an accessible position. Eg, a floor void that is made accessible by a short board and labelled as position for junction box.

Are you wishing to refit the kitchen? Are there going to be units covering it? If so, you could leave it as is, as long as it is accessible (via removeable cabinet back eg) or maybe you could terminate the tails under the base units, accessed by a removeable plinth?

Need a bit more info., really.

Kinglsey - the reason for that is that once the socket has been removed there will be no way for anyone to know that there's a cable buried in the wall, and death can (and has) resulted from people drilling into them because of that.

However - if this socket is a spur, and you can find where it is spurred from, you could disconnect the cable there, maybe cut it back as far as possible, and just leave it in place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I don't intend fitting cabinets in that space. For some reason the point is just there, in the middle of a wall. Perhaps previous occupants had kitchen units there. However, there is a fused light switch next to the socket for some wall lights, which looks a bit odd as well but I'm happy to leave that where it is. I may have to leave the socket alone then, as I have no itnention of ripping out the cables.
Thanks
Kingsley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back