Please help with removing an electrical socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of boxing in some water pipes that run from the ceiling to the kitchen sink, but there's an old socket in the way at the top of the wall, which used to be used to power a window fan.

How do I go about removing this socket? I asked a friend and he instructed me to remove the socket, tape the wires up and push them into the hole in the edge of the ceiling. Is this correct and fully safe?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
LiamC said:
I asked a friend and he instructed me to remove the socket, tape the wires up and push them into the hole in the edge of the ceiling. Is this correct and fully safe?

No.

You must never leave live cables, incorrectly terminated and indiscriminately poked into a hole!

Ideally you should disconnect this cable - if it is a spur or a radial branch - at its source. On the other hand, if it is part of a ring circuit you need to maintain continuity. Without more information it is difficult to advise, but as neither you nor your friend know what you are dealing with, it may be best calling in an electrician to safely isolate that socket.

Ok thanx, I'll call in my local electrician. Don't suppose it'll cost much for such a simple job?

Actually, I don't know anything about electrics, it's my friend who claims to know alot. Should have learnt from the time he fixed our water heater only for a plumber to later say his work could have caused a fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back