Removing double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wish to remove a double socket on a wall to make way for a fancy radiator. The ring main runs vertically down the wall from above the ceiling to the socket. I intend to go into the ceiling cut the two cables of the ring just before they go down behind the wall to the socket and then join the two ends to complete the ring. This removes the power from the unused cables in the wall and is much safer.
Is it best to crimp the cables together using proper crimping kit or to use a 30A junction box. My feeling is to crimp. Once I have repaired the ceiling (its getting replastered) I will not have ready access to the cable joint which i believe is required for a junction box?

Thanks, would appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that.

Given that the joint will be in the ceiling void between gnd and 1st floor, and that the crimps are insulated is heat shrink sleeving actually required?

Guys,

I need to do exactly this - does this come under part P?

Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links
Yes, all electrical work in a domestic dwelling in England and Wales comes under part p.
Wether or not it is notifiable is another matter.
Where abouts is the wiring you will be working on?
IMO it is better to try and replace the length of cable between the two upstream accessories rather than to try and join the cable.

I see no reason why you can't do the crimp joint in some kind of box/enclosure so you don't have to use heat shrink.

Be sure to use the correct crimping tool.

If you ask Ban all Sheds nicely he will post pictures of the wrong and the correct tool.

You could pull the cables up and join them into a new socket upstairs perhaps, if you need one. Bit if a grey area if you have a downstairs circuit upstairs, if that's the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back