Is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just fitted a light under a cupboard in the kitchen to illuminate the worktop area. However, I am unsure as to how to connect it to the mains. Do I have to put a regular plug on it or can I remove the plug socket cover and fix the wires in there without the need for a plug. Or is that dangerous?

Thanks for any replies
Kingsley

Sponsored Links
In your case I would simply fit a plug. It doesn't sound as though you're too sure about how the mains works. What's more you are no longer allowed to make electrical alterations to your kitchen wiring as you need to get it inspected under the new building regulations that came into force on 1st Jan.

You could get a quote from an electrician but for one lamp I think it's going to be relatively expensive.

Building regulations aside, yes it's dangerous. Your socket is more than likely on a 30 or 32 amp fuse or breaker in the consumer unit and its wiring is designed to carry this current. In other words, the fuse/breaker wail fail before the wire melts!

Your light wire is probably rated at about 3 amps. The correct way to wire this in is through a fused connection unit which would have to be fixed to the wall. This is something best done while a kitchen is being fitted and certainly before any tiles go on. Keep it simple and put a plug on it - with a three amp fuse.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for your suggestions. I'll plug it!
I noticed that the wire on a similar light under another cupboard does seem to go into the wall, so I presume this was done at the time of the kitchen installation.

Cheers
Kingsley

If it was my kitchen I'd go looking for the fuse for that other light. First, turn off all the lighting circuits in your consumer unit (or pull the fuses)and see if the thing goes out. Next, turn off any other 5 or 6 amp circuits you have in there. Does it go out now? If it doesn't, switch off the kitchen ring instead.

If it's on the ring there really should be a fuse for it somewhere. You're looking for something typically the same size as a light switch but with a fuse holder in it as well as, or instead of, the switch. It might be at the back of a cupboard or even in another room. If it's nowhere to be seen then somebody has been cutting corners.

Hi Felix,

Thanks for your reply. I'm presuming that the light isn't on the ring because it doesn't come on when I turn on the main kitchen light switch, you have to turn on it's own switch actually on the light itself. The lead coming from it goes into the wall and looks like it is running into the socket on the wall. I'll try what you suggest with the fuse box tonight to see if it goes off when I pull those. Are you saying that it should go off when any of those are pulled? And does that make it safe?

Cheers
Kingsley

It sounds ominously like a bodge job. A cable disappearing into the side of a wall socket is more than likely connected directly to that socket. That's exactly what you shouldn't do. Test this by pulling the ring main fuse. I bet that light goes off. As a double check, have something plugged into that socket. This should go off as well.

With the ring main fuse out, carefully remove that socket from the wall and I think you'll find the light wires going straight into the socket terminals. Remove them, taking care not to leave any of the much thicker ring main wires loose, and put the socket back on the wall. Now put a plug on that light - with a 3amp fuse.

If you don't like the idea of removing wall sockets, get somebody else to have a look but make it soon!

Ok. I can probably do it myself but it will have to wait until Saturday morning. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back