Removing a stuck push up plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

My sink push down plug is stuck in the bathroom. I've tried wd40, my son's plastic little suckers, tried putting blades down either side (can't et enough grip), rubber gloves twisting (won't move either). The only thing I haven't tried is dental floss but I figure that would fray anyway and give me an additional problem. My plumber says he'll charge me 60 quid to sort it but I don't have a spare 60 quid at the moment. Can anyone help?

Matt

P.S. I've also tried those suckers with the lever but the pop up bit is only 3 cms across so it was too wide.

P.P.S. I'm thinking about super gluing the sucker to it. That would pull it out but then I need a new plug?

20220708_104950.jpg

Sponsored Links
So to add to this. I've hammer tapped it gently with a wooden block and that has done nothing either. Should I just take the unit apart? Bit tricky to get in the space with some grips.
20220709_152842.jpg20220709_152838.jpg
20220709_152838.jpg
20220709_152842.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like there is a seal stuck in the basin ,remove it before fitting your new waste fitting.

That was going to be my next question. What do I use to completely it up of sealant or do I just pick it off as best as I can with fingers? And then what sealant do I need? Is sealant a standard a thing? The unit is now soaking in bleach to clean it up a bit. Not sure if that will help. I'll see then if I can free the mechanism up, probably can buy the entire unit in screwfix/wickes near me for a tenner or so.

Probably not worth trying to repair ,just fit a new one ,which will come with new seals.
The chrome trap has a seal ,captive within the nut that screws onto the waste fitting. It's worth replacing that seal ,as the existing one may not now make a watertight joint

I've thinking that. Are they standard/expensive? Quite curious though now how it works. I've got into it and the mechanism is just sluggish so not sure how to get oil into it, maybe spray it with WD40 after soaking it in some descalant now. But as you say I might be putting a lot of effort in here for a fiver saved.....20220709_175307.jpg

Yours is slotted to accommodate the overflow ,don't make the mistake of getting one that isn't slotted.
Basin wastes such as yours can vary in their overall length ,and a shorter one may not reach your trap,which doesn't appear to have much vertical leeway.

I replaced mine only last week. Cost me £13 from my local plumbers merchants. He asked if I had a preference and I said just give me one of good quality so there are possibly cheaper ones available.

I'm in the motor trade so when mine used to get stuck down, I used my valve lapping stick to remove it!

1657388483585.jpeg

Thanks guys for your help. I've really enjoyed this journey although my fingers stink of bleach and the bathroom may not be so clean to the missus standards when she gets home. So, I've unscrewed the mechanism out of the metal casing and it seems to work ok. I'm tempted to unscrew that screw and squirt some wd40 in it but it's giving me 'red flag' signals. So Im thinking it was a hair and debris issue rather than a mechanism one? 20220709_181555.jpg20220709_184027.jpg

I did read most of the above and in my opinion the most sensible comment was to scrap the old one and buy a new one. The only additional observation I would make is that I, personally, don't rate the spring-up ones very highly - I've had three and in each case the rubber seal fails and you can't easily replace it.
Far better is the type with no mechanism or no rubber seal - it's just a spinning plug held captive within the housing itself.
I just bought a couple from Amazon and they're ideal.
Beware though ... many of these that you see advertised have a rubber O Ring built in to the plug/disc. You don't want that, you just want a solid plug/disc.

Screwfix do one but it has the rubber O ring in the disc therefore I don't recommend it. https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-captive-basin-waste/64920

I'd recommend this one *** it's cheap enough and well made ......... If you look on Amazon and type in this description you'll see what I mean, they're the ones I bought and fitted .... they're about £13.

*** Architeckt Modern Bathroom Flip Top Brass Basin Sink Waste Plug Slotted 1 1/4" BSP Chrome

Yes, the o ring looks a bit worn in truth. Veering towards buying on now. I thought they would be much more expensive in truth. So the flomasta ones give the specs as 32mm and the amazon one as width 1.25inch. That feels to be the same if my maths is correct.
I did read most of the above and in my opinion the most sensible comment was to scrap the old one and buy a new one. The only additional observation I would make is that I, personally, don't rate the spring-up ones very highly - I've had three and in each case the rubber seal fails and you can't easily replace it.
Far better is the type with no mechanism or no rubber seal - it's just a spinning plug held captive within the housing itself.
I just bought a couple from Amazon and they're ideal.
Beware though ... many of these that you see advertised have a rubber O Ring built in to the plug/disc. You don't want that, you just want a solid plug/disc.

Screwfix do one but it has the rubber O ring in the disc therefore I don't recommend it. https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-captive-basin-waste/64920

I'd recommend this one *** it's cheap enough and well made ......... If you look on Amazon and type in this description you'll see what I mean, they're the ones I bought and fitted .... they're about £13.

*** Architeckt Modern Bathroom Flip Top Brass Basin Sink Waste Plug Slotted 1 1/4" BSP Chrome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back