Removing a unused gas outlet and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we had our gas fire removed (buy a corgi register gas fitter). About 6 foot to the left of the fire was an air vent. I have since block up the fire place and am contemplating blocking the air vent as I understand this is only there because of the original fire. Is this correct?

Also, from the pics below, do you believe its possible to reduce how much the unsued pipe sticks out?

The house is 10 years old.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need a vent for a plain fire under 7kW. Was it a Decorative Fuel Effect one? That might well have needed a vent.

No fire, means you don't need a vent for it!
Careful about blocking off the fireplace/chimney, it's normal to put in a small vent to allow air to pass through and keep it dry.

That gas fitting can certainly be made neater, but get a gas fitter to do it. It looks simple but you could easily end up with a leak in the wall - nasty.

Easy way would be 1/4 inch cap neater way would be 15mm soldered cap.

Tut tut, chris what do you teach your guys if a normal fire does not pull.

the original fire was a gas one.

sounds like i can block the wall air vent, but need to stick one in the chimney to keep it dry.

thanks.

how much would you charge to come and cap the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Would have thought the pipe could be capped below the floorboard and thus removed from sight.

Bet you some money that the gas pipe goes up in the wall ;) I would cut out a square hole around the pipe carefully :!: With the cut at 45 degrees in over to the plasterboard, so will fall out and easier to put back with some filler. Get an RGI to cap off behind the board and do the usual safety checks... much neater :cool: Defo refit an air vent to the chimney fella...

thanks all.

so find someone who will cut the plaster back and cap in the wall. the floors are concrete so I guess the pipe either runs in the concrete floor or along the wall.

in relation to the air vent in the chimney, currently I have filled the chimney with insulation and boarded over. Should I remove all insulation and stick a vent in or can the insulation stay.

cheers.

If it runs down the wall my favourite would be to cut off and cap under the floor upstairs. I don't like live services of any sort running down a wall with no visual indication like an outlet sticking out. Too much chance of someone in a few years time fixing a shelf through it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back