Removing Bath and keeping old tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im carrying out some work in my bathroom and i'd like to remove an old bath keeping the old tiles and tiling up to the old ones with new.

My question is are the old tiles likely to fall off once the tiles/bath below them are removed, I'm guessing they should stay stuck as they've been up since the 70s by the look of them!

Sponsored Links
So, you intend to remove the bath from that position? And tile up from floor level to the old tile?

Do you intend to install a stall shower or something else in that position?

The old tile will probably be fine -

but first cut the silicone bonding with a utility knife before moving the tub. After disconnecting the plumbing, lower the legs on the tub (check for screws in the feet) and gently see if it will move.

If the tub is clipped to the wall behind the tiles then a few tiles might have to be removed to locate the clips.

If the tub rim is set behind a batten then the bottom row of tiles will have to be removed to allow the bath tub to be lifted off the batten.

Your bottom row of tile is cut tile so it would probably be best to remove the whole bottom row to enable you to tile up to a full tiles.

The original tile job was done by a DIY'er.

I agree with most of what Ree above has said; but chances are the bath sits ON a batten runing the full length of the bath. I certainly wouldnt assume that the bottom row of tile are cuts, they might be whole. In that case every third or forth one will have a hole drilled in it for the aforementioned tile :)
The main reason you WILL have to take the bottom row of tiles off is the discolouration. If they are whole tiles the bottom half will not have been subjected to donkeys years of UV light, washing, etc etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back