Removing beading from Upvc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove and replace a bottom piece of beading on one of my windows.

The YouTube videos I've watched show that a long piece is removed first, making it easier to take out a short piece.

However, I'm not sure which way around to use the glazing knife! The knife has a bevel edge on one side. Does the bevel need to be facing the beading or the frame? Or does it even matter?

I hope someone can advise.

Myles

Sponsored Links
However, I'm not sure which way around to use the glazing knife! The knife has a bevel edge on one side. Does the bevel need to be facing the beading or the frame? Or does it even matter?
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the glazing beads can usually be removed quite easily with any flat pointy object!
Paint scrapers are quite good :)

This vid shows a quick demonstration of using a glazing knife:

...and depending on the age of your glazing, I'm afraid it can sometimes be difficult to find a match to your beading profile.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but the glazing beads can usually be removed quite easily with any flat pointy object!
Paint scrapers are quite good :)

This vid shows a quick demonstration of using a glazing knife:

...and depending on the age of your glazing, I'm afraid it can sometimes be difficult to find a match to your beading profile.
Thanks for the video. I had already seen that one along with probably all the others on YouTube, but none of them mentions the glazing knife.

Here's a pic (taken in poor light!) It looks like a chisel but is blunt at the sharp end. As one side is flat at the back and the other has a definite angle, I was wondering if it needs to be inserted between the beads and frame in a specific way to avoid damage.

knife.jpg

I know I can replace the bead OK as the window is only two years old. Too long a story as to why I'm not getting the installer back!

personally , flat edge against frame , bevel edge under bead , start at a slight angle. some beads are harder to get out than others. And as Randomgrinch says , you may well struggle to get a new bead , most profile companies have changed them over the years

Sponsored Links
personally , flat edge against frame , bevel edge under bead , start at a slight angle. some beads are harder to get out than others. And as Randomgrinch says , you may well struggle to get a new bead , most profile companies have changed them over the years

Ok, thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm now replacing a couple of other windows, so can practice removing a bead on them. I've talked to the manufacturer who made the window I'm replacing the bead on, and the profile is the same, so no problem there. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back