Removing bench drill check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've got an assembled Draper bench drill which I need to take apart to transport, so I've followed the assembly instructions in reverse and am now left with a chuck which I cannot get out of the housing. When fitting it, the book says knock in into place with a soft faced hammer, so clearly it's just wedged into place. Do I just need to use brute force to yank it out? Or is it now stuck there for good?!

Sponsored Links
I had the same issue when taking apart my bench drill. Solution was to open the chuck fully and insert a long bolt. I camped the chuck in a vice upside down and a Couple of whacks with a lump hammer and out she came. Not pretty but it worked

Good luck

Graeme

Sponsored Links
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Wedges-Drifts

Some of these may be what you need. If the U-shaped wedges then you place one either side just above the chuck then press them together (better to press than hammer) but as it's a draper it might not make much difference.

Thanks for that. The chuck on my old Walker Turner drill needs changing, I've got a new (never used but must be years old) chuck for it on a MT spindle, but I can't shift it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back