Removing bottom section of slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wish to remove this overhanging part of the roof, to make way for an extension.

After removing the lower tiles, how can I fix the last half tile on the bottom row? Do I need to remove a triangle of tiles above?

raOTdfgjJods1BEQ77NAOKGe5jalYsJDaEsBQqKFqOD42Z2HJvccb842Q_K2LzeLn5F4yrUf_5IZVC3YNIPmukTxYlOz0OgTJZyiYLYCLe2O7wCT3HrqJ8fikqIZlRwViYa53m9yWnuWXuclr9OHpTJsJhZ5aAR31KR-GNaPvjZm5AUN2n395XOsmxxn1H75eBg7LIXmCy204_uYZIJSQfddpme-YiNA8FEv5EmAVJToY5idSvz8woRCnU7_fJ-SXr04xfZ5jpD-XdRGL-WPYPPmcnGHiw9hmnT3L05uGebO1YEsgg4XpAmFQeo7xP6v6H7OSrw-213L0Ure_AY_aOAx0j4GED6ylny1YtnsXlduujyDGcaCe-Fiz3D8uDsME2sgrNDxynreEsgqtMia15ZSqL8QaeVzI1AKPfJfdsOhmt-OV_SHOsIGWZ2psWebCWyon5ddkjG9vOsjem_MU07NN_1Mf1mFJDTjq6fdoALWITXKtxOqkZE1nsd9UTYxy3ZpCL8kUBSgbs-ecoYdpxJgzmFlLPHRUbZBLlULBp4cUo3rdDF2doWbRDEqGC05xzZVf93iLfsW0QnL0b4PTbeKE2dijUuDqC71sxQcXm-az-Vtm6-X7GZtVgBd0uiraoDNQpkbUFaaPT8KhTu2hi8kFqWwRxS5VnoxI6zgfkmxKa6sYaXUIhrwdlMeLlI6fwQe5ubb_ygjvbFfsVfC76NI94msY32BY_00vkSIpKUsRsGXUHdgIplkjaUknHM=w677-h902-no

Sponsored Links
No pic visible at the mo. Slates and tiles are very different beasts, please try again

I can and they're definitely slates, can't quite tell if they're real or fake.
If they're fake (with those little copper lugs preventing the ends flapping in the breeze) you need 3 layers at the eaves.
Usual way is use a slate ripper to get above the eaves so you can do those courses properly, eventually you get up to a full course where the nail holes are covered by the course above so either use tingles (copper or zinc strips) or slate hooks to secure that course

Sponsored Links
They look rather nice & happy days, getting 3 course at eaves without a big kickup is boring.
As above then, a load of tingles somewhere above the eaves courses. The other option (which as you said is lift the triangle above) will give a better finish at the end (you won't have a load of tingles sticking up) but working round those Velux windows might be a bore

It would be a bit shady- if you have a spare try it (diamond disc) and see how well they cut. Don't forget you'll have to (or ought to) lift what will become the eaves course to put felt support trays in as well as sorting out the rafter tails and sarking boards (looks as if it's boarded but might just be a shadow on the pic)

Thanks again OBND

Its not boarded.

What there at the eaves of the overhang is strip vent and above that a 200mm wide section of thin ply. But probably more relevant is what is at the eaves of the rest of the roof, which is the level to which I am removing the overhang. From memory that was some sort of tray with a vent built into that (from memory, could be wrong about that) - I guess that is what you refer to as felt support trays?

Attachments

• beak2.jpg
    beak2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 58
Yesterday I tested cutting the slates and found I could get a good finish. So I going to try and do that. I will find out how easy it will be to get the support tray under the eaves when I do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back