Removing bricks over door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice about removing bricks over an existing door frame. I am moving my bathroom upstairs in my house by splitting a large bedroom. For this I would like to reorganise the layout by opening up the landing. Is it ok to remove the bricks above the old door to ceiling level and then installing a lintel? Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
You would have to insert the lintel (to take the load) before removing the bricks. Lots of you tube advice available on that...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
If it really, definatly 100% is only supporting the bricks and none of the roof load then afaik you don't need a lintel once the bricks are removed to the ceiling. Hopefully someone more knowledgable on this will confirm, but it does look like the existing lintel is a corrugated one designed only to support the small load of bricks above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back