Removing carpet containing asbestos dust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago we sanded part of a ceiling not realising until recently that it contains asbestos. We're planning on redecorating the room the ceiling was sanded in and want to remove the carpet, I'm just concerned about the amount of asbestos dust that's settled in it from our past mistake. I can't find anywhere near me that hires a H class vacuum out for anything other than trade use. If I was to get a carpet cleaner do you think it would be enough to pick up the residue fibres and make it safer to remove? I've just had a fair bit of exposure in the past and this is a room the family uses daily so don't wan't to spur up anything. My family tell me I'm overreacting, I just dread to think how much was airborne when we sanded it and now it's likely settled don't want to make it worse again.

Sponsored Links
A few years ago we sanded part of a ceiling not realising until recently that it contains asbestos. We're planning on redecorating the room the ceiling was sanded in and want to remove the carpet, I'm just concerned about the amount of asbestos dust that's settled in it from our past mistake. I can't find anywhere near me that hires a H class vacuum out for anything other than trade use. If I was to get a carpet cleaner do you think it would be enough to pick up the residue fibres and make it safer to remove? I've just had a fair bit of exposure in the past and this is a room the family uses daily so don't wan't to spur up anything. My family tell me I'm overreacting, I just dread to think how much was airborne when we sanded it and now it's likely settled don't want to make it worse again.

Presume you are speaking of an artex ceiling ? If so it contains about 5% of the least toxic form. I assume you vacced it many times since? if so, I wouldn't worry about it.

i’d still wear masks. soak it first if it bothers you that much.

Damp it down if removing it, that way any asbestos fibres will be less likely to become air borne

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
As other posters have said, if it's "artex", low risk and long gone.

If you are really concerned, damp it down, roll it up, and bag it up.
(you could damp it down with diluted and sprayed pva solution, for extra reassurance).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back