Removing ceiling spot light fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if you would be able to help me. I want to replace the light fittings in my kitchen but I am not sure what sort of fittings to go for as I am having trouble getting the existing spotlights off the ceiling. Is there a knack to it?

The fitting has a circular base on which there are three spotlights, I have tried twisting the base to see if that does it but no joy. Do I just need to be more forceful or am I missing something.

Is it likely that underneath this base there is a traditional ceiling rose fitting? I think the lights have been up since the house was built about 10 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Never seen what you describe but if its a traditional fitting there will be 2 spring loaded clips which hold it into the ceailing. It should pull straight down. It may be hard to pull at first though.

There isn't a hidden screw under a cover in the centre or around the side of the base is there?

Sponsored Links
A picture paints a thousand words.
Or at least a good drawing (don't ask any of picasso's family).

I did wonder that myself, there is what looks like it could possibly be covering a screw but it isn't easy to get off if it is.

As for a picture, I haven't got a digital camera so I'll try to describe it a bit better.

The fitting sits flush with the ceiling. The base is about 8inches in diameter and it is about protudes about an inch off the ceiling. There is a circle in the centre made of different plastic that doesn't seem to come out. There are three spotlights (reflector lamps) mounted on this base.

Sounds familiar.

You will probably find the plastic does come off, pull it down vertically from both sides at once.
Underneath you will find it has a spigot that locates in a threaded tube which has a nut, securing it to the mounting bracket.
Undo the nut and fanny's your aunt.

Get a screwdriver and lever the plastic bit off, if you are getting rid of the light, no need to worry about sratching the paint on it, chewing up the plastic too much

and no, no rose under it, there'll just be wires connected with terminal blocks, you can install a rose there if you ant to though

Or it might be that the plastic bit twists off - depends on the light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back