removing ceramic tile glue from timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed 20 sq metres of ceramic tiles from my kitchen floor with the aim to sand the floor boards.(They look very good from what I can see). However the tiles were glued with a black tar looking substance that won't seem to budge. I'm worried the tar will clog the sander. I have also been told that the tar substance is quite unhealthy and will catch alight if I use heat in the removal process! I seem to have a lot of negatives. Has anyone got any good news??

Sponsored Links
If the stuff is actually a very dark grey/ black and a bit sticky it sounds more like a pre-mixed flexible adhesive and to be honest I wouldn't fancy getting rid of it to then sand the boards, you might however like to try using a wallpaper steamer to loosen it. Any left on will clog the sandpaper quicker than you could say "oh **** the papers clogged".
Good luck. I think you will need it.

dont know if its ethical but why not take the floor up and put it back upside down?

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. It has made me even more determined!.... and my Chiropractor will be very happy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back