Removing chimney breast in livingroom and bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one tell me how i would go about removing chimney breast from my living room and bedroom so i can have more space in house please?

Do i need planning permission?
Can i do the work my self?
Do i have to inform the neighbours?
Do i need a building inspector to inspect the work at the start and the end?
How long would it take to complete?
How much would it take to employ a contractor to do the work?
Do i need to use acro props for the joists when removing chimney breast?
etc

Any help would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd ask about planning, but I didn't get planning permission when I removed one of ours and noone has complained.

I did the work myself (plus girlfriend). It's not hard at all, if you're completely removing it.

If it's on a party wall, you're supposed to notify them 1month before you start. There's no agreement on their part though, it's just notification.

I already had a buildings notice, which included chimney removal. They didn't bother to inspect the chimney though, but I removed it completely, as opposed to leaving an upper section supported by some gallows bracket.

It took a whole weekend, for two stories worth of chimney. I got a roofing chap to take the bit that stuck out the top of the roof when they re-did the roof.

I don't think acro props are required. Where were you planning to use them?

You don't need planning permission, unless it's a listed building.
As above, it is DIYable.
Strictly, you should inform the neighbours as it is a PWA matter, but don't bother, unless you want to spend £££ on surveyor's fees.
You need to advise Building Control as replacing the floor in the gap is a structural matter.
Costs? Depends............
You may or may not need Acro's, as in some rare instances, floor joists are supported off the chimney, though this is not usual.

Sponsored Links
re: acros

Actually, yes. My place is 1900, and the floor is all suspended around the chimney. In later houses this might not be true.

As for a buildings notice, I pointed them at the floor I replaced and they didn't give a monkeys :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back