Removing clay liner from inside of chimney. Hetas help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need to remove the 5&1/4 inch clay liner from inside of my 1960's concrete block chimney as it is badly fitted.
Like a dogs leg, there is no way to get a 5 inch steel liner up it; so the clay has to go. Can I get rid of it and keep the Hetas installers happy, with a steel liner basically loose up an 8 inch concrete block chimney?

How do I get rid of it? The pipe starts in the kitchen ceiling so it's easy to get to, so do I just take a lump hammer and crow bar and smash the lowest pipe and expect the other pipes to fall?

Rant:
I want to install a multi fuel (log) stove, and Hetas installers will not touch it as it's just too much like hard work when there is easier jobs out there. I have been trying for over a year.
The local council has said that I can do the job myself but I can't start the job until it has been inspected by an installer, and then again at lots of stages as to make it impossible, as no damn installer wants to know, "We can offer the service of issuing a completion certificate for this work, however, we would be out sourcing the work to another business who are able to self-certificate and then issue a completion certificate on the back of their inspection."
They don't want to do the job and they don't want me to do it and inspect it either.

Sponsored Links
Can the existing chimney not be used without a liner? If it's in good condition and passes a smoke test there's no real reason not to use it.

You do need to be aware that a 5" (or 5¼") chimney seriously limits your options for which fire can be installed, so choose your fire carefully to avoid an expensive mistake.

And no, smashing the bottom clay liner out almost certainly won't cause the rest to fall down. If fitted correctly they'll be supported all the way from bottom to top

Thank you for your quick reply.
In light of what you have said I'll ditch the steel liner, and go for a smoke test.
We have a multi burner stove SIA Defra Ecosy+ Snug 7 -10kw, it recommends a 5 inch pipe, which is perfect for our chimney, and why I bought it; probably another reason why installers aren't interested.

What are my options if the smoke test fails?

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reply.
In light of what you have said I'll ditch the steel liner, and go for a smoke test.
We have a multi burner stove SIA Defra Ecosy+ Snug 7 -10kw, it recommends a 5 inch pipe, which is perfect for our chimney, and why I bought it; probably another reason why installers aren't interested.

What are my options if the smoke test fails?

Have the chimney re lined.

Sponsored Links
Have the chimney re lined.
You mean remove the clay liner and replace it with a steel liner?
Back to smashing the #### out of the clay liner with a lump hammer and a scaffold pole. Or taking the crown of the chimney off and pulling the liner out.
If it fails a smoke test, I feel that I'll have nothing to loose by smashing it, as it being useless I can't make it any worse :)
chimney.JPG

The other thing that I have noticed is the chimney in the loft is rendered. This may just be a usual thing that they did in the 1960's, but it does make me wonder if this was a repair due to the clay liner being badly fitted.

Ok, the top clay pipe was cracked, so no smoke test.
But the steel liner did go through, so problem solved.

I have found out that there is a tool for braking up the clay pipes. Apparently it's a pole that has metal balls that fly outwards when spun.

Y
The other thing that I have noticed is the chimney in the loft is rendered. This may just be a usual thing that they did in the 1960's, but it does make me wonder if this was a repair due to the clay liner being badly fitted.
Usual for the time - not a repair

If its 7kw it will need an air vent , I wouldn't mind betting it smokes like hell when refuelling with a 5” and a wide door opening.

If its 7kw it will need an air vent , I wouldn't mind betting it smokes like hell when refuelling with a 5” and a wide door opening.

It's a 7 to 10kw. I have 10cm ducting to go from the back of the stove, and under the floor, and then through a wall to the out side world.
I don't know about smoke, I have to learn the best way of burning etc. It is an sia defra stove so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's a 7 to 10kw. I have 10cm ducting to go from the back of the stove, and under the floor, and then through a wall to the out side world.
I don't know about smoke, I have to learn the best way of burning etc. It is an sia defra stove so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The whole point of DEFRA stove is to avoid smoke and minimise pollutants.

You do realise that you have to use “approved” fuel?

I was talking about smoke coming out through the door when lighting and refuelling

The whole point of DEFRA stove is to avoid smoke and minimise pollutants.

You do realise that you have to use “approved” fuel?

I have to learn the best way "of" burning. Not "what" to burn!
Placing of the wood, turning them and use of the controls, things that you learn after using for a while. That's what I meant.

Of course I was going to soak twigs and sticks with used engine oil, to give it a bit more umph! Dur!

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...e-of-chimney-hetas-help.589582/#ixzz7QhwDpnqf

I was talking about smoke coming out through the door when lighting and refuelling
You mean that the flue being a 5 inch will lack the draw to pull away the initial smoke.
Yes maybe your right. But with the 10cm air pipe giving a nice through draft, I'm hoping that the smoke will take the path of least resistance and shoot up the chimney with vigor.
And If I can't find any vigor, umph may do the job :)

I have to learn the best way "of" burning. Not "what" to burn!
Placing of the wood, turning them and use of the controls, things that you learn after using for a while. That's what I meant.

Of course I was going to soak twigs and sticks with used engine oil, to give it a bit more umph! Dur!

Your presumably supposedly humurous and definitely indignant post is typical of some arrogant and rude posters

I have sold and fitted many gas stoves but fewer wood and SF stoves - and the rules are often a mystery to potential users. If using a DEFRA stove in a smoke controlled area, one MUST use the correctly prepared fuel.

But, obviously, you know that.

I am beginning to understand why you have had little success in coming to an agreement with various professionals.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...e-of-chimney-hetas-help.589582/#ixzz7QhwDpnqf

"Your presumably supposedly humurous and definitely indignant post is typical of some arrogant and rude posters"
Arrogant as deliberately misreading what I had stated so you could jump in with your size 12's and inflate your ego?

"I have sold and fitted many gas stoves but fewer wood and SF stoves - and the rules are often a mystery to potential users. If using a DEFRA stove in a smoke controlled area, one MUST use the correctly prepared fuel."
I'm not in a smoke controlled area. But I thought it would benefit my neighbors if I used the best stove to minimize pollution; even if it were a lot more expensive than a lot on the market. Unlike my next door neighbor who installed his own, god knows what Chinese rubbish.

"But, obviously, you know that."
Yes of course I know that, why else would I buy a defra sia stove.

"I am beginning to understand why you have had little success in coming to an agreement with various professionals."
Again, you deliberately miss read what has been written. The problem wasn't coming to an agreement, it was professionals cherry picking the quicker and easier jobs elsewhere. There's a load bearing wall to take the pipe through, and seeing the photos of that is why they didn't want to get involved.
I was told by some installers that there was a back log of six months due to the demand. Now we have the world fuel problem, the demand has got even greater.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...e-of-chimney-hetas-help.589582/#ixzz7Qi8NKVU5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back