Removing Conifer 8ft from House concern of Heave and Wet Underfloor heatng

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are buying a house, which has a large conifer 8ft from the corner (see below).

(Best description here of work we are planning to do)

Looking at the photos below there is a small kitchen, which can be seen above the trellis.
We are knocking through to the side (away from the tree) and into the room with the white doors, to create a large "L" shaped room.
Finally we will add an extension which goes upto the door and is as wide as the wall with the white doors. This will then be a large open kitchen.

The rooms nearest the tree are part of an extension to add a garage, toilet and boiler room.
We will be raising the floors on these by 1 ft to match the rest of the house and turning into usable rooms.

The concerns we have are around the tree. It is roughly 22ft high and 8ft from the corner of the house. The soil is clay.
We will take the tree out (no preservation order), however we are concerned with heave.

Questions:
Heave
1) We are concerned about potential heave once we take the tree out. We have read plenty online, however lots of different opinions. So over to here for some more. What is the risk to the existing house structure? We will build the extension with deeper foundations to apply/deal with any potential heave.

Heave and Wet Underfloor
2) Imagining the kitchen as a battenberg cake, the existing kitchen and room to the side are concrete floors, the room with the white doors is timber.
We are concerned that the floors could also be affected by any heave and cause issues with any wet UFH we install.

So any thoughts or advice?
Any clever drainage solutions?

20170316_131846.jpg

20170407_130655.jpg

20170316_131609.jpg

Sponsored Links
I was expecting to see something much larger when i came to the pics.

A conifer that size is absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion. The rootball will be very small, cypress like those really dont send roots very far and are quite shallow rooted, they have a single large ball and a few spreading roots, nothing like the spreading thick roots of a deciduous tree a similar age.

As a result they are the least troublesome of trees when it comes to building damage. The very large ones (40ft+) can dry the ground so significantly it can cause issues but I would not give that one a second thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back