Removing Cupboard/built in fridge freezer - what tools needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen is about 12 years old (we moved in 5 years ago) they fitted as part of the extension and bits are not done very well but we want to make it last a few more years.

We are about to have the floor re sanded but before we do that we want to tackle the space our fridge freezer is in.

We want to remove the built in fridge freezer and the cupboard it sits in (and bits to the right) so we can get a taller & wider freestanding fridge freezer. The cupboard looks separate from the units to the left of it and I am hopeful that there is nothing much in that built-in bit to the right.

We are amateur at DIY but would really like to take it out ourselves and then if we need to make good the wall at the back etc we can get someone in to do that.

What tools do you think we would need to give it a go? I am thinking we would need something to at least cut the kickboard underneath but not sure how to go about tackling the rest....?

image3.jpeg
image2 (2).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg

Sponsored Links
Normally the fridge just pushes into place with a couple of securing screws at the sides, top or bottom, sometimes it is pushed into place and the bottom feet screwed down to secure it. Or simply pushed in if not a proper build in model. The unit may have a couple of screws in the wall and almost certainly screws through the sides into the cabinets either side, as a rule the kick boards are clipped on so just need a good pull to remove them, there will be leveling feet underneath which the kickboards clip to.
That said anything is possible depending on who fitted it!;)

The unit is screwed to sides but also to infill panel over the top , you may need to dismantle more than just the unit you want to remove and then make good.

The unit is screwed to sides but also to infill panel over the top , you may need to dismantle more than just the unit you want to remove and then make good.
We couldn't see anything on the inside of the cupboard or fridge freezer-cupboard as far as screws go, would they be hidden in some way?

Sponsored Links
Screw heads are visible in the photo’s
Apologies I see what you mean. The bits to the top and right that its screwing into I would want to remove anyway to maximise the hight and width of the fridge freezer we could get. I meant there are no screws between the fridge freezer bit and the kitchen cupboard to the left. I don't want to damage/have to remove that.

Apologies I see what you mean. The bits to the top and right that its screwing into I would want to remove anyway to maximise the hight and width of the fridge freezer we could get. I meant there are no screws between the fridge freezer bit and the kitchen cupboard to the left. I don't want to damage/have to remove that.
Have you removed the fridge?

Yes we have removed the fridge, dont have any pics but inside there were no screw holes to the left and then at the back there was no back to the cupboard, it was just the plaster wall.

Have you removed the fridge?
Yes we have removed the fridge before, don't have any pics but inside there were no screw holes to the left and then at the back there was no back to the cupboard, it was just the plaster wall.

If there are no screw heads in the left panel, Have you looked in teh cupboard to see if they have screwing in from that side.
They may have hidden the screw heads behind the side of the shelves in that cupboard.

Otherwise look behind the kickboard, there might be a metal plate joining the two units (but this is less likely).
SFK

There is a screw at the bottom right front. The top strip looks as though they have screwed through the cupboard ceiling to hold it in place and is that mastic at the ceiling joint?
The kickboard should be clipped to the legs under the adjacent units, (as mentioned by footprints in first reply), but you may find the small piece on the right has been jointed with a hidden batten behind the join.

So for anyone interested we managed to take it out. There were some screws hidden behind the hinges in the cupboards to the left, plus hidden behind the bit at the very top was a bit that went across and screwed in, . With some brute force we managed to get it out so now we can decorate and get a bigger fridge freezer.

Pics

Attachments

• F6BE62C5-5C15-49B5-BA94-78E6049B0A2D.jpeg
    F6BE62C5-5C15-49B5-BA94-78E6049B0A2D.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DD3CC02B-8B0D-4BC4-8687-7A53BD3FBAC8.jpeg
    DD3CC02B-8B0D-4BC4-8687-7A53BD3FBAC8.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 110

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back