Removing Door and Plasterboarding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a door in my living room that I want to remove. When building the new partition wall for this, do I need to seat the new plasterboard in the space level with the current existing wall plasterboard, or sink very fractionally for the plastering? I have this thought that If I seat it level, when plastered there will be a slight bump?

Hope that makes sense.

Lee

Sponsored Links
yup sink it, iirc, 2 coats of multi-finish (which is what you'd be doing or having done in the uk) come out at about 6mm. (generally 3-4mm for the 1st coat and 2-3mm for the 2nd).

Thanks for the replies, The door im going to remove is in a Timber stud wall.

Lee

Sponsored Links
If you keep it flush you can have the whole wall skimmed over for neatness, i would be inclined to cut back the existing plasterboard enough so that you can screw the two mating bits of plaster board (old and new) to the same stud as where two studs are nailed or screwed together with a seperate plasterboard on each, when the studs expand and contract hairline (or bigger) cracks can appear.

thanks all and especially 1john, exactly the kind of advice i was after.

Lee

multi-finish (which is what you'd be doing or having done in the uk) come out at about 6mm. (generally 3-4mm for the 1st coat and 2-3mm for the 2nd).
multi finish is a 2-3 mil skim in total " ie" after both coats applied

My local authority clearly stated that there should be 3.2mm of skim over boards, although I have never seen anyone measure lol :LOL: :LOL:

really? i thought you guys put that stuff on much thicker. what are the 6mm beads for then? bonding + multi?

really? i thought you guys put that stuff on much thicker. what are the 6mm beads for then? bonding + multi?

They are a hangover from the days when board finish could be put on heavier, when it had more body - as you say a coat of bonding was needed.

Look on the bag, BG say 2mm of finish!

My local authority clearly stated that there should be 3.2mm of skim over boards, although I have never seen anyone measure lol :LOL: :LOL:

That's an eighth in old money - rounded up to mm.

Done by another numpty who does not understand real life - why do they just not just say 3mm? :rolleyes:

Or why not ring up BG and ask instead of using an old spec for reference?

Look on the bag, BG say 2mm of finish!

i wish i could get it here :(

In Fairness, your boardwork has to be good for 2 mm - but in the real world, a heavier first coat just means you need to leave ti a bit longer to pick up before you flatten and lay down with your second

I forgot to say, in the days' of the old 5-6mm spec for board finish, it was a case of coating over jute scrim everywhere instead of the fibatape of today

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back