Removing dual action push button toilet cistern lid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I watched seven videos and read numerous instructions and none tell me what I need to know. Have removed both metal push buttons to reveal a central retaining screw between the two plungers which the buttons operate. All the instructions say to unscrew this screw to allow the lid to be removed. However, this central screw (white plastic) does not have any groove in which a screwdriver can engage. The groove isn't worn away, there is just no groove to start with. It's just smooth plastic. I've no idea what make it is as bought it twelve years ago from B&Q but they do several makes which all look the same to me.

Sponsored Links
here's a picture. The white button is in he rectangular hole between the two white plungers.

Attachments

• image1 (54).JPG
    image1 (54).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 228
The "white screw" isnt a screw so dont touch it! Im fairly certain the whole thing simply unscrews but havent touched one for sometime.

Sponsored Links
have you tried unscrewing the chrome collar?

i have that, it is a Geberit.

yours looks like it might be the same (can't see the tops of the buttons)

you may need rubber gloves to get a grip

Yes I've tried unscrewing the whole chrome collar, it doesn't budge, the whole assembly moves with the collar. The white button in the middle is actually a moving part I've realised, it moves down when I depress either of the plungers, like it is linked to them. Other types of dual-action flush have a screw in that location which is what confused me. But anyway, my question remains- how to get the lid off? Some part of the push-button mechanism is obviously holding it down, but I can't see what else to remove to free it. It's not a Gerberit, I've seen videos of them, they do indeed have a screw which is what confused me.

If you have tried lifting the lid and it only moves up 1 or 2mm then that does unscrew.
Forget all about a screw, you dont have one.

I have a similar mechanism on my Roca.
As the others have said, the whole chrome assembly unscrews.
I have found the best way to unscrew it is to put my thumb into the hole and grab the collar with my fingers.
Jiggling the lid around a little at the same time also helps!
Good luck! :)

Thanks but it's definitely not a Roca, there's videos of those, they do have a screw. The assembly does not unscrew even with a wrench. There's about a millimetre of give in it either way but no more. I'm afraid to force it any further for fear of breaking it.

Thanks but it's definitely not a Roca, there's videos of those, they do have a screw. The assembly does not unscrew even with a wrench. There's about a millimetre of give in it either way but no more. I'm afraid to force it any further for fear of breaking it.
It is off yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back