Removing emulsion from brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So February I'm having a roller garage door installed,

It's going to be fitted behind the pillars, unfortunately the previous owner painted the walls inside the garage and went up as far as the garage door painting around 4 inches in the pillar.

This means once the new anthracite door is installed I'm going to have a 4" white stripe on either pillar on show. So before the door is installed I want to remove the paint.

I believe it's just interior white emulsion on the bricks.

I've had a scout around and there appears to be mixed views on removing paint from brick work.

Apparently nitromors is rubbish, as is screw fixes version. I can't see a heat gun working to well on brick as the mottled effect will play havoc with the scraper.

I've seen brick acid mentioned but this appears to have a mixed reaction also.

Anyone on here offer any advice?

Sponsored Links
Pressure washer? Sand blaster?

Yeah, at the moment it's internal of the garage, once the new door is in it'll be external, but I want to remove it before hand so as I don't damage the new door trying to remove it

Sponsored Links
Electric drill, or angle grinder, with a wire brush attachment, but wear goggles and gloves etc..

When I replaced our wooden window frames with UPVC, there was lots of gloss over painting marks on the brickwork. A wire brush took it all off.

Depending on how thick the emulsion is, you may mind that a heat gun allows you to peel it away.

Cheers,

Was thinking wire brush on drill might be best, it's just Ruddy messy.

It might be quicker and easier to paint it the same colour as the door.

You can still purchase "old school" paint stripper (containing methylene chloride). Legally it should only be sold in minimums of 5L and labelled as "industrial use". Some people on ebay sell smaller unit sizes...

Either way it won't help much with waterbased paints.

You can grind the paint away but you will "damage" the surface of the bricks.

Options like "soda blasting" might be prohibitively expensive for such a small area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back