removing euro lock (?) from uPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading around on this site how to change the lock barrel on a double glazed door and now have an idea how it's supposed to be done. My problem is that the reason I need to replace the barrel is my wife snapped the key off in the lock. I've managed to get the broken key out of the lock but I don't have a spare to use to turn the lock in order to slide the barrel out. I read in another topic about breaking the lock and I'm wondering if this is my only option? But I didn't really understand how this was done.

Can anybody offer some advice as to the best way to approach getting this barrrel out given that I can't turn the key to line everything up prior to sliding it out?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Take the handles off, get an adjustable spanner or a pair of mole grips on the flat part of the barrel and give a sharp jolt sideways once or twice till it snaps, it will snap down the middle where the fixing screw goes.

Next thing i ask, is this door open........like unlocked but with no key?

As you have managed to extract the broken part of the key it should be possible to go to an experienced key cutter and have it duplicated on to a suitable key blank.
If it works well have a spare cut for next time.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

DC77 was absolutely right - to my amazement, somebody was able to cut me a working key from the 2 halves. So, I was able to take everything apart and discovered that the lock wasn;t sticking at all. Therfore, I don't see much advantage in replacing it. I guess that something(s) else in the door mechanism is sticking which caused the break. My best guess from here is to remove the brass plate down the side of the door and give eveything a good coating of WD40 and hope that helps. If anybody knows better, please shout!

Sponsored Links
Remove the brass plate down the side of the door , but give it a light smear of grease. WD40 tends to dry out after a while and will cause problems with lack of lubrication.

If it's a multipoint lock - don't take it apart or you'll be searching for bits when they go "ping".

Take the mechanism out of the door and oil the rear sliding mechanism, and oil the hooks/bolts/mushrooms etc. working the oil in by using a handle to move the mechanism up/down.

If the mechanism is working fine out of the door, it could be the door that has dropped and causing a tight fit against the frame keeps. Either adjust the keeps or re-align the door - plenty of posts already on this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back