Removing garage with asbestos cement sheets and tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached garage from the 1930s which is made of wood up to 4' agl then glass windows on both sides and then a pitched roof.

The cladding up to 4' and on the the rear wall is asbestos cement and the roof tiles are also asbestos cement.

What problems is this likely to give when I ask for quotes to have it demolished?

Its about 5.5m x 3.5m approximately and in London. What range of prices should I expect to dismantle and remove it?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,
slightly similar situation but only roof panels on an outbuilding a bit smaller than a single garage.

I got a quote of £450 from a national company - then saw an article on moneysavingexpert website. Asbestos cement is usually an item you can remove yourself and take to the council recycling site.

Some investigation of the hse.gov.uk website under asbestos is necessary. There is a pdf file that shows what to do.

A summary would be:

-hire bolt croppers to cut the bolts securing the roof, rather than drill, angle grinder etc - for obvious reasons.
-you can hire a special hoover rated for asbestos to clean up.
-a disposable overall, boot covers, top quality respirator etc are sensible precautions.
-the waste must be double bagged in strong gauge clear plastic bags with hazardous waste stickers on.
-ring council waste site has capacity to receive the waste on the day you want to dispose of it.....

Cost about £100 and 3-4 hours labour.

I MUST EMPHASISE this is an abreviated process based on my own web searches - I have not yet carried it out. You should be sure that this is something you are happy to do yourself..... I will be suitably paranoid on the day I do it.

rgds

Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back