Removing internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing an internal brick built wall, approximately 2.3 meters. I have figured out that a steel is most likely required and am getting an SE to calculate the requirement. I was just wondering if it was possible to get a steel to run flush into the ceiling even though there are floor joists which will need to rest on it. I know its unlikely, but I thought I would ask the question just in case some new design has been invented.

Any help or ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usually it can be done (depending on the depth of the beam and the existing joists) but it is more expensive and disruptive as the contractor will have to mess around with cutting the joists rather than just lifting the beam up to the underside of them. Your SE will need to know this is how you want it done too so he can design accordingly.

A bit of added information for the experts out there, the joists are approximately 50mm x 178mm (2" x 7") and are spaced approx 410mm (16") apart. If we were to take away the wall in question, the span between joists would be approx 4500mm (15 ft), so I am guessing that a steel is probably needed below, the house was build around late 50's early 60's.

Hmm, maybe maybe not, probably need to keep some nibs of masonry at each end if your 4500 was the total length of the wall though.

Sponsored Links
A bit of added information for the experts out there, the joists are approximately 50mm x 178mm (2" x 7") and are spaced approx 410mm (16") apart. If we were to take away the wall in question, the span between joists would be approx 4500mm (15 ft), so I am guessing that a steel is probably needed below, the house was build around late 50's early 60's.
Yes, you will need a steel, but as the span is only 2.3m a 152x152 UC will eat it, and also fit nicely in the depth of the floor/ceiling void.

Its a really poor picture but best I could manage as the orgiinal file is a PDF so had to use my phone to get a JPEG image, anyway, the wall that is being removed is highlighted in green

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back