Removing kitchen unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current project: removing existing kitchen unit to make way for integrated dishwasher (xmas present!)

You know the "feet" things on the bottom of the unit. How do I adjust them to make it easier to get the unit out? Once I've detached the unit from the worktop and other units beside it, I'll need to pull it out but the feet are going to hit the laminate flooring which is at a higher level to the floor the feet are standing on.

Any tips?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the feet are plastic, the bottom parts just screw up into the tube section of the leg and this section is pushed into a mounting block screwed to the underside of the cabinet. To be honest most of the plastic feet are flimsy enough that a good smack with a piece of 4 x 3in timber will break the bottom parts off leaving the mounting plate intact. Here's a piccy so you can see what I mean:

QA472%20Adjustable%20Leg%20150mm.jpg

If the feet are the aluminium type they may each have an adjuster screw accessible from a cover plate on the bottom of the cabinet (inside).

If you've got all the cabinet fasteners out, then great, if not watch-out for screws hidden underneath drawer runners, behind hinge mounting plates, shelves, etc. They may come through form the adjoining cabs as well.

Lastly I hope that you've got power, water and waste near to hand. Integrateds can taka a lot of space and frequently don't leave any free space for waste stacks, water connections or sockets behind them - all of these need to be mounted behind adjacent cabinets.

Regards

Scrit

Hi S-B-B

Just to add a little extra to the above reply - does your machine have a condensation strip supplied with it? If not you'll need one like this. This stops heat/steam from the dishwasher being absorbed by the dishwasher and subsequently causing the top to swell. Failing that a couple of coats of floor lacquer/varnish will do the trick - only the 4 to 6 inches in from the front edge needs be done

Scrit

Just a little tip, I've fitted a few dishwasher and found it was easier to screw the leg right in and use 2 runner by using timber and on top with melamine chipboard like a platform, it slide out a lot easier if need be.

I can get my dishwaher out without removing the plinth :D

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Just a little tip, I've fitted a few dishwasher and found it was easier to screw the leg right in and use 2 runner by using timber and on top with melamine chipboard like a platform, it slide out a lot easier if need be.
Yes. Yet another use for worktop offcuts and cut-outs....... ;)

masona said:
I can get my dishwaher out without removing the plinth :D
Lucky you! A lot of them, like Electrolux and Prima, require the plinth to be cut away to give clearance for the drop down door, especially when you've levelled up so you can screw the dishwasher to the underside of the worktop - but those machines actually hang down a couple of inches below the top of the plinth :rolleyes:

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back