Removing limestone walls tiles - without breaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to repair a failed shower area. To ensure the floor is resealed properly I need to remove the lower row of wall tiles. I realise this is likely a fools’ errand. Tiles are honed limestone

Any suggestions for how to do this without breaking them ?

I’ve thought about using an oscillating multi tool with a thin blade to remove the grout and cut through the cement board and to try and easy off the board (break the screw holds etc)

And then I might be able to carefully remove the board or even reattach as a unit - Sticks Like Sh$t etc. I know, very cowbowy

what am I missing ?

Sponsored Links
Luck is what you’ll probably be missing. Sorry.

I don’t fancy your chances getting these off in one piece.

Did you use tile adhesive and a notched trowel for the walls, if so, I can’t see anything working.

If you dabbed the adhesive on, you might have to smash one, and possibly get an old hand saw behind the others... it’s a long shot though o_O

Good luck

Notched trowel.... yeah I don’t fancy my chances either.

But I’m an optimist

Let’s see how it goes today

Update: it did not go well

the whole walk-in shower is being torn down this afternoon.

still, gives me an opportunity to add a larger recess for the wife and daughters ENDLESS hair products and also install the body jets we have in our walk-in en-suite shower

hey, I’m trying to stay positive....

Sponsored Links
Yep. And yep.

this is an old one. I’ve done two new showers that are 100% rock solid in terms of water penetration. This one was a bit of a hack/rush job and it had small leak that grew :( I learnt from this mistake.

I do not like removing cement board. It fights and fights. The whole damn wall came off as one - tiles and all.

Might be my last entry....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back