Removing mirror set in bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm extremely new to DIY and never attempted anything other than painting. But my partner and I will be moving into a new flat soon that needs a few aesthetic upgrades, most of which we feel confident at tackling.

One problem I am finding it difficult to find the best solution for is a very large mirror (about 4ft x 3ft?) in the bathroom that has been set flush with the tiles, with grouting all around it. I don't know if it's been stuck in with tile adhesive or something else. There are no screws anywhere.

It's massive and hideous and I want to get rid of it and retile, but online i can only find advice on removing mirrors that can been set on top of tiles.

A friend at work who has some experience with DIY told me to tape it up completely, smash it in pieces and chisel it off (wearing all the protective gear I can, of course). Is this the best way? Or should I chisel around the grouting first to try and find out how it's stuck to the wall?

Many many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As long as you are not superstitious about 7 years bad luck, I think I would crisis-cross it with wide masking tape or apply some of that adhesive film they sell for protecting carpets. Take the usual precautions goggles, gloves, put a large cardboard box under it and tap away with a hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back