Removing moss from garden path (and not killing grass)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above - any ideas?
Needs removal then some treatment so it doesn't immediately come back.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
ive got the same issue as my fathers house -whats best pressure washer or moss killer

and as Gossamer asks -should chemicals be used after washing

Sponsored Links
Iron sulphate to kill moss. Don't pressure wash until it's dead or you'll fill the lawn with moss!

Pressure washers are too destructive. Sweeping in diluted Wickes bricks and mortar cleaner works a treat for the initial cleanse but be wary of run off. And then just spray moss killer every now and again.

Thanks all. FWIW I did the following:
  1. Brushed the moss off with a stiff brush. This got rid of perhaps 90% of it. Tried with a pressure washer but it didn't really do much (surprisingly).
  2. Pressure washed the path to clear the brushed moss away and generally clean it up.
  3. Put Jeyes cleaner at a 125L / 5000L ratio to (in theory) kill the remaining 10%.
  4. I'll periodically hit it with Jeyes to prevent regrowth (assuming the Jeyes works of course....).

Copper sulphate kills moss but not grass, and you need surprisingly little. It doesn't smell like a festival toilet either. A couple of tablespoons in a watering can once a quarter will prevent moss from regrowing.

I used Patio Magic a year ago and it gradually cleared the black mould on the patio. I will re-apply once a year. Don't know what it contains but it seems to stay in the stone.

The (main?) active ingredient in Patio Magic is benzalkonium chloride. Patio Magic 'concentrate' is, IIRC, 7.5% and you dilute it 4:1 (or 9:1 for light growth).

My front yard is north facing and in a poor state so it needs doing every year, so I bought 5L of 50% benzalkonium chloride which will last a long time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back