Removing nails from floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Due to persistant squeaking from my floors, (the chipboard type boarding, installed when built 1995), i am looking to remove the nails and drive in some 2" screws.

The nails appear to be causing the squeaking as some boards move when walked on but the nail heads stay still, i can only presume the squeaking is caused by the heads rubbing on the wood.

I have tried the talc method and a few others but the most laborious task is the one i think will solve this problem.

So with this in mind does anyone know of any easy method to lft the nails without causing too much damage to the wood ??

Help appreciated
Regards

Sponsored Links
keyplayer said:
Leave them there (drive just below wood surface)?

I need to remove them and drive in some screws in their place, i dont know what pipes, cables run under the floor so i dont want to take the risk of screwing into a water pipe or an electric cable etc

Sponsored Links
Try 'wigling' the boards, might raise the nails a bit more, so you can 'catch' them with a claw hamer.

drivge the nails and then screw just next to them, you should avoid any cabling or piping then. if you screw into the hole they came out of you probably wont get a decent fixing anyway

if its a new house and no additional cables and pipes have been fitted then they should run through the centre of the joist , so you shouldnt have to worry about hitting them. :LOL:

Appreciate the replies guys.
The house in in its 10th year and has had no new work done to it.
I had been told a tale from a joiner on another site that there is a slight possibility that should you drive some 2" screws into the floorboard you could hit a pipe, surely if i follow the line of the nails and drive direct into the joist then everything should be fine ???? and judging by everyones advice i think im correct ?

"The man who's never put a nail into a pipe is the man who's never nailed a floorboard"

Chipboard is horrid stuff, sometimes you can lift a nail head enough with a Tack lifter hammered in round the head to get a claw hammer or wrecking bar round the it.

If you can get the nails out, or drive them in, then you would have the ability to lift the boards and see where the pipes and cables are.

BTW some shoddy people put the T&G joints in chipboard flooring where they aren't supported by joists. Bad practice but will last until after payday. Eventually the tongues will break and those bits of floor get very wobbly. make sure you haven't got any of them (I have, grrr grrr)

JohnD said:
"The man who's never put a nail into a pipe is the man who's never nailed a floorboard"

How true ! ! ! (And please don't remind me of it.)

BTW some shoddy people put the T&G joints in chipboard flooring where they aren't supported by joists.

Very good point indeed, will have to check this one out as its now jumped to number one on my most wanted list.

Just purchased a natty little number, a nail punch and mini nail lever all in one, cost me £13 but looks like it'll do just the job.
Think i'll drive the nails that i can't reach further in and screw next to them and pull the loose ones out.
Oh well, guess i'm going to be busy tomorrow then

Many thanks for the advice fella's and fella'ess's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back