1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing newel post completely

Discussion in 'Floors, Stairs and Lofts' started by Luke319, 21 May 2018.

1. Luke319

Luke319

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi can anyone help me on this one, I’m looking to build a stud wall against the stairs in my house but would need to remove the bottom newel post to make it look right. I’m wondering if there is a way of doing this without making the staircase unstable

This is what the stairs looks like at the moment
    upload_2018-5-21_21-38-52.png

And this is sort of what I’m looking to achieve
    upload_2018-5-21_21-39-51.jpeg

Any help appreciated, thanks

2. bobsuerita

bobsuerita

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    loose the newel in the wall that way you can square of your bullnose
    and can always be reversed

3. Luke319

Luke319

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did originally think think this but would be left with a weird detail where the wall would return from the newel post back to th string. I have tried to draw it to show what I mean, not the best of drawing though

Newel post and string in black and new wall in red
    upload_2018-5-21_22-9-23.jpeg

4. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could ask a blacksmith to make up a metal replacement for the newel post to the required thickness....

However, retaining the baluster and spindles will look odd regardless of how you treat the newel post. To achieve the complete look of the second picture requires removal of the existing stair parts (or enclosing them) plus the addition of a new bannister rail. What you have looks good and presumably provides a degree of received light.

Is there a specific construction reason for the proposed change?

Cheers

Blup

5. Luke319

Luke319

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would a support under the string be substantial enough to take the stairs? Sort of like a triangular bit of studwork?

Forgot to say I am planning on removing existing stair parts to achieve the look and adding a rail to the existing external wall. Light won’t be an issue as front door is just 2 meters from bottom stair so light floods in up the stairs

The reason for doing this is as we are removing the wall between the living room and hallway to make use of the unused hallway space and create a larger living room, but we don’t want to see the stairs from the living room

6. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would imagine a suitable support could be designed to take the load, maybe based on what is there plus the additional weight of the plasterboard partition, but all this would require a structural engineer's input. The top newel post is probably built into the floor and lending structural integrity to it: another relevant factor, but again one that a structural engineer would have to calculate.

Good luck

Blup

7. Luke319

Luke319

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The stairs won’t be taking the weight of the plasterboard. It will basically be a stud wall butted up to the outer side of the string basically, fixed through the floor and ceiling. And top newel post won’t have to be touched, that’s can stay as it is

Thanks for your input

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local