Removing oil-based paint with steam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to remove over 150 years of paint from my internal wooden window frames. I've tried Nitromors, which doesn't work anymore since the VOC changes and an Eco stripper, but it's painfully slow, only removing a couple of layers at a time, even when left overnight. I know my heat gun would do it but I am concerned about the vapours as the paint undoubtedly contains lead. I have a respirator but even if the kids are taken out for the day, I really don't think its a good idea.

I've read some interesting threads recently about paint removal using a steam generator, like those used for fabric. Apparently, it softens the paint sufficiently to lift it from the substrate with a scraper but it doesn't get hot enough to vapourise the lead - which sounds brilliant!

I've seen a Jiffy steamer for about £250, which is a lot, so I'm a bit reluctant to lay out that much cash if it's not as effective as claimed. There are cheaper steamers available but not sure they would have sufficient grunt.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Sponsored Links
i have used a black and decker wallpaper stripper with great success to strip paint from 80 year old doors. way better result than heat guns and nitromors as i have used in the past.

Will be using it on old sash windows next.

btw its about 2500w and was about £30 from argos, if I was buying again would get the earlex one as it has a small steam plate which would be about right for windows, as well as the large one.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I ended up buying a Draper 2kw wallpaper steamer a couple of weeks back for £45 off Amazon.

It comes with 2 steam plates, 1 of which is about 6x3" which proved ideal for my window frames.

I found it very effective, no nasty vapours or sticky mess like a heat gun, and unlike chemical strippers available to the public these days, it actually works! I noticed it seems to work better on vertical surfaces though; on flat surfaces the condensed steam puddles and interferes with the heat transfer from the steam to the paint. But that said, it's still way better than releasing poisonous gas into your house with a heat gun. And as it's a wet process, no lead dust either!

It seems few people are aware that steam alone could remove a thick buildup of gloss paint, I for one would not have believed it but now I'm converted.

Good luck with your sash. Apparently, the steam is great for removing old putty too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back