Removing old floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

Moved into a house a while back which was built in the late 50's early 60's... Currently renovating the living and dining room, old carpet and laminate up and found these tiles stuck down with black adhesive (bitumen?)... The bitumen is only a very thin coating and only up to where the flooring ends I.e not under where the skirting was

The floor tiles are a few mm thick and the bitumen possible less (see pic)

I want to remove these because some of them are loose and turning up at the corners and I want to lay new laminate flooring However I've read a lot about this stuff being the DPM but only if it's very thick etc, but surely this isn't the case as it's very thin in my scenario

1. Is it safe to remove them? In terms of its not the DPM
2. How do I tell/find out if I have a DPM? I know it's different but I know I have a DPC, wasn't sure if it could be an indication!
3. The floor is pretty level but if I wanted to level it out using self levelling latex can I chuck this straight on top (after removing tiles)?
4. Anything I'm missing/other advice would be great!

Thanks
Dean

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They look like Thermoplastic (Marley) tiles very common for them to contain asbestos have a Google, lots on line about it.
As a rule not considered a risk in normal use and if small amount is broken fairly low danger from fibres as they are firmly bonded, but stripping a whole floor you should take advice from an expert.

Sponsored Links
The bitumen/adhesive layer under the tiles was frequently part of the DPM on a solid floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back