Removing old pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This pipe is leaking. I’d like to get the rusted and leaking part replaced. Can anyone tell me what this pipe is, and how I could feed into 22mm or 15mm copper pipe please?

B279A73E-1015-4845-A691-5235403B2CFE.jpeg

Thank you
61417ABE-5D83-4AD0-9667-6219577A4757.jpeg

Sponsored Links
So, ideally, I’d like to cut the pipe where the tape measure is and then go to 22 or 15 copper. But would you need to tape a thread or is there a push fit option? Or is there a compression option?

If it’s iron you will need to put a thread on it ,be surprised if you have the gear to do it,
can you go back to a joint and screw a 1/2 inch BSP to 15 mm compression fitting in and replace the rest

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys - I can go to that tee. I don’t need that “alkathene” pipe at all so that can go, and everything to the right, so I can either leave the tee in place or get rid of that too. Just don’t know how “tough” it will be to unscrew the thing.

Easy enough with right gear something like a stilson type wrench well preferably 2 pairs so you can stop pipe turning when removing tee.
With care though old steel pipes are known to collapse if too much pressure used on tools.

If you REALLY don't need the alkathene or the branch to the right in your picture, you could:
1. Isolate the supply.
2. Cut the alkathene.
3. Cut the steel to the right of the tee.
4. Unscrew the tee by holding the pipe to the left with one pair of stillsons while undoing the tee with another wrench of some sort. Hold the pipe as close as possible to the tee to minimise damage to the rest if it collapses.
5. If it unscrews OK without crushing / crumbling the left hand pipe, use a 1/2" steel pipe cap on the newly exposed thread. Use plenty of PTFE / Loctite 55 to make sure the threads seal.
6. If the pipe gets damaged, use a Plasson Universal or Philmac Universal Transition coupling. You will need to:
6.1 Clean the pipe thoroughly.
6.2 Probably get a short length of capped pipe to go in the other end of the coupling to close it.
7. All the above assume you can create enough room to turn the tee and / or get a coupling in.

Thank you. I’ve just come back to this thread as I can’t get a local plumber for love nor money to sort this (at least not before the New Year) however, one helpful chap mentioned that if I thought I was able, then maybe cut the pipe and fit a Philmac fitting. So I came back here to ask about it, and see you mentioned it in your reply yesterday!! All your advice there sounds great, but so if I can’t use the threaded joint and have to fit a Philmac connector, how would I best cut the iron and prep it for the connector?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back