REMOVING OLD TILES PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY wife wants a new bathroom, Im pretty handy so Im going to do it myslef. I have a concern. Our whole house is jiprock walls. The bath has tiles around the three sides of it, about 8 high (they are 8" by 4" so there are around 72 odd them (24 x 3) I am assuming (from what is above the tiles ) that these are stuck direct onto jiprock, I am really worried about removing these and all the jiprock comes off too.

The other point that I have is, from two years ago when I was doing the kitchen I remember there is a space behind this wall I was thinking of a tiled recess like an inbuilt wall, maybe with three little downlighters in. So what I was thinking of was a big rectangle in the wall maybe 3ft x 1ft and going in 6-8 inches. I know I would need to build this up from the floor behind but what other problems are there. The lights arent a problem as the shower on the wall backs direct into the electric cupboard

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Do you mean Gyprock as in plasterboard?

If so there is a fair chance you will damage it pulling the tiles off (you won't know until you try) but it isn't rocket science to remove and replace it and it isn't expensive. And by the way you can tile direct to the new plasterboard (no need to plaster it). If there is a chance of the wall getting soaked though you should consider replacing with something water resistant like aquapanel or equivalent.

Best of luck with the project. I always thought tiling was a black art until I tried it but it isn't difficult with the right advice. (No offense to the professionals intended - It probably takes them 10% of the time it takes me)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back