Removing one tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for a bit of advice!

I have a bathroom and the sink tap is very loose.

The previous owner has tiled all around the sink with no access or removeable sections. This is the same for the bath too so hope the plumbing is good

What is the best way to remove one tile clean.

I guess i needs to somehow rake out the grout and carefully pull it away. The tile is about 800mm high and 300mm wide and cut to fit so need to get it out clean

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What....the taps have no access at all?
Easy enough to remove one tile in the way you say, but as for not breaking it, youre in the hands of the gods :eek:
Do you have any spare tiles at all?
Quite like to see a pic of this if you can!
John :)

Yep, everything is tiled in even the bath and toilet cistern. Ideally need to get the tile out in one piece as not sure where they are from and don't think I will match them too easily.
Think I can get the grout out from each edge with a dremel or similar but can't think of a way to pull the tile off in one piece. Would windowpane suckers work or will it be stuck too good?

Do you have access from the other side of the wall and what is the wall construction?

Sponsored Links
Get the grout out by your Dremel, stanley knife or whatever and then gently start prizing the tile with a thin blade all the way round.....it may come away but the chances of damage are very high.
Id certainly start the search for a suitable replacement tile!
This is a crazy design - what happens if the toilet fill or flush valves fail :eek:
I have seen similar installations though, but there a row of tiles had been fixed to a timber board with ‘soft’ grouting so it could be removed.
Be lucky!
John :)

Thanks
Wall is stud and bedroom the other side. Maybe easier to pull some plasterboard off and see what's what than pull all the tiles out I guess.
Will try and put up some photos. The sink sits on a tiled shelf/boxed in section in so maybe I can go in from the top and they may be 'soft' grouted. Either way it's going to be messy :)
Baffles me why there wouldn't be any access to any pipework in the whole room. Not something you think about when buying

Don't think yoully be able to get the tile off in one piece. Depends on the size of the tile and how well it's attached.i suppose.

I got some wall mounted taps in the bathroom I'm doing up which there is limited access. I was going to leave an access panel but the wife wasn't happy with the panel idea.

The only option for me is to cut out the tiles if something fails I can't get to, but knowing that I've got a spare box of tiles and bag of grout.

If you've just bought the house, have you had a good look around in cupboards, the attic, the shed for any spare tiles?

I too recommend cutting the tile (or tiles) out. Use a multi-tool to cut through both the grout and plasterboard in one hit.

Ive had "some" success in the past using a hand held steam cleaner (floor mop thingy) to warm up the tile and soften the adhesive to make it easier to pry off.. As others have said dig out the grout and use a thin wallpaper scraper, (not a screwdriver) and if you have a steam cleaner with a directional nozzle heat up as u prise off.

good luck

Ive had "some" success in the past using a hand held steam cleaner (floor mop thingy) to warm up the tile and soften the adhesive to make it easier to pry off.. As others have said dig out the grout and use a thin wallpaper scraper, (not a screwdriver) and if you have a steam cleaner with a directional nozzle heat up as u prise off.

good luck

Not a bad suggestion. I don't think it will work if a cement based tile adhesive has been used though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back