Removing part of coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My lounge has a half bay window. The coving has recently been fitted with a curved end part which goes right up to the windows - this means that when I try to hang curtain track the curtain doesn't cover all the window..

I can't call back the person who fitted the coving so I'd like some advice please -

Could/should I take off the curved end of the coving? - How do I do it?

What about cutting a square out of the coving and laying the track inside?

If neither is advisable any suggestions for getting the curtains to cover the windows?

Thank you.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you should be able to cut out a small section using a stanley knife..
do you have a photo you could post here?

you should be able to cut out a small section using a stanley knife..
do you have a photo you could post here?

Here's a photo.... as you can see the curve ends inside the window section - I was thinking of cutting away the end piece on the window wall but leaving the curve on the room wall - hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
That makes sense -Thank you -

I'll try to cut a bit straighter than your line though ;)

I finally worked up the guts to taking a stanley knife to the coving - but the whole corner section came off -

I have drawn a black like to show where I will be installing a section of curtain track - so that part's not a problem and obviously I'll paint white but..... questions:

Can I buy a corner piece of coving just to do the piece shown by the red line... if not what can I do about the gap behind the other piece of coving and what about the gap by the wall - what can I fill that with?

All answers welcome![/img]

Did the angled corner section youve 'removed' disintigrate or can you make use of it?
If not then an off the shelf corner peice should work well ;)

unfortunately it disintegrated. :cry:

I can see the label on the back it's Cove 127 British Gypsum with a little diagram showing 83mm touching wall and ceiling.

Is this standard if not can I just ask for Cove 127 at a builders merchants?
Thanks

its a standard size, if you go to b&q you should be able to take a "sample" home. you know a bit of a broken one. you`ll only need 6" or so. cut the edge at a 45 deg angle for external cut. you normally get instructions in the box or on the side. when you have this you then need to cut it to length. maybe 1" at the bottom. be careful and take your time as it will break otherwise. then this bit will sit it the exposed end giving you a nice finish.

or just fill the hole in with filler , rub down and finish with whatever you painted the rest of your coving with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back