Removing part of wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I want to remove a small section of wall plate from the flat roof of my extension to allow me to route some plumbing.

IMG_20220121_115000.jpg

IMG_20220121_115013.jpg

IMG_20220121_115030_edit_476800541865787.jpg

Top photo is the section I want to remove, I'd put in extra screws at the end of the cuts to support.

The second photo, is it worth putting a noggin in where the spirit level is between the 2 joists either side of the proposed cutout?

Last photo is from further back of the wall plate, the section marked orange is where I want to cut

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Whats holding the wall plate onto the wall? And is some steel work going in above that window so u can remove it?

Wall plate is fixed to wall with brick screws, no steel is required, there is a concrete lintel the full width of the house, they were built that way and the window is being blocked up anyway.

If it’s a flat roof, I think you should be ok, just add a few more fixings Into the wall plate.

A noggin will only help stiffen the structure, not add structural benefits.

Sponsored Links
I’d be putting some bolts in that ledger plate, I’m not sure if ‘brick’ screws are the same as concrete screws would be strong enough on their on to support that roof.

LOL I hope you did that yourself, where is the cement in the perps?

Nothing to do with me, that's the original rear wall of the house from 1971, both the front and rear are the same, the block work was originally covered in small tiles but is now clad in upvc shiplap.

I’d be putting some bolts in that ledger plate, I’m not sure if ‘brick’ screws are the same as concrete screws would be strong enough on their on to support that roof.

Yes concrete screws Andy, building inspector was perfectly happy with how its fixed, there's plenty of them in there, it's not going anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back