Wall plate gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a Wall plate thats going to hold 1st floor joists have a section cut out of it? I need to remove the timber where the waste pipe is to allow me the alter the soil pipe run. Can I cut the timber out directly behind the soil pipe.....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes. Maybe add an extra bolt near the right hand cut end - below the split in the plate.
Could be its the pic but the nuts and bolts in the pic seem a little small?

Thanks Tell..... thought it was fine, but just wanted to check. The bolts are pretty big to be honest.... I think they M12 looking at them. I'll stick an extra one each side of the cut.

Lol. 250mm of 8x2 is not going to bend out from the wall o_O

You'll need to trim across it anyway to secure the deck board.

Sponsored Links
You seem to be easily amused by the DIY'ers precaution against possible sagging?

We are inside a room on the first floor of what looks like an extension - why do you use the terms deck board?

You seem to be easily amused by the DIY'ers precaution against possible sagging?

We are inside a room on the first floor of what looks like an extension - why do you use the terms deck board?
Like I pondered, how on earth is 250mm of 8x2 going to sag?

Every flat roof has a deck, else it would be a pergola. The deck tends to be ..... yes you've guessed it .... a timber board.

By the time you've put the brackets on a soil pipe it's nearly 35mm away from the wall - just dish the timber a bit. I normally do a few passes with my mini router and then smooth it down with the angle grinder - crude but job done in 10 minutes.

I understood you were in deep thought about how a plate might "bend out from the wall" - perhaps you were thinking of spoons?
But no, seems you were pondering sagging & its affects on things such as pergolas.

Even a tiny sag might cause creaking in a fully finished, & loaded floor - so even if its overbuild its still good practice to build-in a precaution against even the slightest possibility of creaking - good thinking williamglossop.

There's no mention of a flat roof - the OP specifically tells us in his first sentence that its a "wall plate for first floor joists"

I understood you were in deep thought about how a plate might "bend out from the wall" - perhaps you were thinking of spoons?

There's no mention of a flat roof - the OP specifically tells us in his first sentence that its a "wall plate for first floor joists"
Then it's a floor deck.

More than pondering about how 250mm of 8x4 can bend. Scientifically there is no chance, so I shall ask a carpenter i know if a miracle would do it.

No, its an evasion.

You used the term "deck board" which is the usual name for typically: composite, ribbed lengths of say 150mm x 25mm boards.

Can a Wall plate thats going to hold 1st floor joists have a section cut out of it? I need to remove the timber where the waste pipe is to allow me the alter the soil pipe run. Can I cut the timber out directly behind the soil pipe.....
should there be a picture?

No, its an evasion.

You used the term "deck board" which is the usual name for typically: composite, ribbed lengths of say 150mm x 25mm boards.
LOL. You don't know much about building do you?

Deck board for a patio. FFS

giphy.gif

Anyone who actually works in the building trade knows what a deck board is but you have to have it described. Its never used as a flooring even in Pergolas.

You first posted on this thread with a pompous, smirking sense of having what you thought was a cheap laugh at the diy'er OP's sensible approach to his work.
You gave no advice. You couldn't because you still dont understand what was said or shown by the OP. Why not try & use a little wit?

But you were challenged, & you cant bear to be challenged so you resorted to ducking & diving to create diversions as a way out of being challenged. Why? Because you cant google your way out of a challenge even after 18years of 24/7 googling and pretending to work in the building game.
Man up, dont swear - real men dont need to swear.

I'm sorry that in your search for sympathy its come to you posting pictures of your youthful self after too much Sanatogen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back