removing plate heat exchanger from a performa 28i

Inspected the pump and it seems OK. No grit inside, just a light black film coating the impeller and pump internals. It passed the finger test too...I could stop it but only if I pushed down quite hard.

Sponsored Links
OK that has eliminated the pump then.

Next run the hot water and feel the system pipes round the boiler and tell us which ones are very hot and if any are cooler.

Tony

Hmmm...the symptoms have changed a bit. With pre-heat and CH off and the hot tap running, the rads are now getting hot...diverter valve problem? I'm pretty sure the rads remained cold when I tested this before changing the h/ex.

I have taken the head off the valve and it had been weeping for a while (the clip was badly corroded) but the valve head is actuating when expected and the pin inside the diverter valve seems to be moving up and down fairly freely.

Leave the motor head off and see what the hot water does!

Tony

Sponsored Links
With the head off the valve the water at the taps is still luke warm and the rads still seem to be getting the heat.

Push the pin back in after hot water a few times and see if that makes any difference.

That indicates the diverter is jammed. I am a little confused about your boiler model. Do you have a black motor actuator?

A short term improvement to DHW can be had by closing one of the heating flow valves!

Tony

I've tried pushing the pin in and letting it come out again a few times yesterday...at most, i got a 1s burst of warmish water out of the taps and it then went cool again. The pin seemed to move freely. If the pin is moving does that mean that the valve internals are also moving (i.e. they are mechanically joined) or could the pin be moving while the valve itself remains stuck? Will try pushing the pin again to make sure I'm getting the same thing now.

The boiler (Potterton Performa 28i) does have a black actuator on top of the valve. It connects to the pcb via a 3 pin plug. fyi, this is the boiler manual...

http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2201/I04-2201/I04-2201.htm

Will also try closing the heating flow valve and see what happens.

The motorised diverter valve operates in conjunction with the DHW fklow valve as they call it.

I suspect the rear end of the flow valve 21/22 is sticking.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back