Removing radiators without TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just come to remove some radiators before a DPC is added to our house. I've done this before so nice and easy I thought. But... The one in the kitchen doesn't have valves, just nuts. Can this be removed in a similar way?
Picture attached.

Thanks.

K

Attachments

• 15606254272726412273878766137122.jpg
    15606254272726412273878766137122.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links
If you have no way of isolating it, then it will not be the same way. Might be best getting a plumber/heating engineer in. What type of heating system?

Edit: whichever route you choose - yourself or plumber, as @dilalio said get some valves on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just come to remove some radiators before a DPC is added to our house. I've done this before so nice and easy I thought. But... The one in the kitchen doesn't have valves, just nuts. Can this be removed in a similar way?
Picture attached.

Thanks.

K

That's not right :confused:
You need to have valves on the rads!

I didn't install it, I promise! I'd never bothered to look before so never noticed. Wondered if I could use compression stop ends for a few days or would that just screw up the system.
Combi boiler set up.

Sponsored Links
It won’t screw up system,just make sure you add some inhibitor back in if you drain system.

Turn off all the other rads at both ends, all you'll drain is the rad and a bit of the system water ..... and then get some valves on it.
That makes sense. I can see why that works. I can't think of a clever way to minimise the amount of water in the system, but I will be able to do this.

Closed all radiator valves. Undid the two nuts. Little bit of waterdribbled out...then lifted it out (very heavy!) But nearly all the water is from inside the radiator! Nothing coming from the pipes at all!
Thanks for all your helpe.

Attachments

• IMG-20190616-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20190616-WA0000.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 254
Now you want to replace those with corner valves. You may have fun getting them to fit as the tolerances will be tight with next to no give on those pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back