Removing radiators...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I removed my first ever radiator today. Go me!

I'd actually bought one of these Radkits as I was a little apprehensive, but after my first one (and more trouble than I expected with the Radkit) I'm starting to think the more traditional way of doing it might be better. :cautious:

Anyway, I've run into a small predicament on my second radiator. Whereas the first had a TRV at the right-hand side that I turned to 0 and a valve at the left-hand side that I turned tightly clockwise, the second radiator only has a TRV at the right-hand side.

At the left-hand side, it just has a hex nut... which, in normal operation, is tightened. I can un-tighten it and take it off, but how do I stop water gushing out like I did with the previous radiator? I'm confused by this basic operation to say the least... what do I need to be doing?

Here's a picture...

radiator1.jpg

BTW - on the Radkit - the spanner did not fit the hex nut I was working on (either side) so I had to use my own adjustable spanner and the plastic / rubber seals both got little holes in them on first use... so I'm glad it came with 2 spares... also the rubber seal would not turn half-a-turn on the holding rod because the plastic was warped and I had to take a scalpel to it to trim it down, finally the Rad Wrench did not fit anything at all with what I was doing, so I was left scratching my head as to its purpose! Not very impressed and if I'd not made 'changes' to it (with the scalpel) I would probably send it back.

Sponsored Links
Leave the hex nut alone (tighten it) it's the gland nut and if you remove it there is a slim chance of the valve stem coming loose - water will follow.

You need to turn the valve-stem/shaft above the nut clockwise until it closes. If you've got the plastic valve head from the other radiator then try that on the shaft and see if it fits. If not, a pair of adjustables or decent grips should do the trick.

I have plastic caps - am I supposed to be able to slot that in and then turn it, then? I hadn't even figured that out!!!

Have a look at the underside of the cap - does it have a slot which matches the shape of the valve stem in question?

Sponsored Links
OK, the plastic grey cap had nothing on the underside / inside of it - it just sits on top of the valve and looks decorative, it seems. It doesn't turn the valve, I did turn it with an adjustable spanner and I've now managed to remove that radiator too - many thanks.

So, while the radiators are coming off - I would like to put on new valve caps that I can use to turn them, instead of having to get a spanner out. Is something like this going to fit what I have?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-radiator-valve-cap-white-finish-25mm/35656

I gather - from initial research today - that there are different types of valve out there (why, oh why?) and I guess I need to know what type I have - lockshield, wheelhead, Myson?

Although, I must add, I currently have no hot water coming from any of the taps - in fact, no water (hot or cold) coming out of any hot tap at the moment. Cold is fine. I am unsure why this is, my Ideal Logic+ is not telling me why... it's usually quite "chatty" about problems it has. I'm hoping this will return when I replace the radiators. Time will tell.

P.S. - maybe a new set of radiator valve caps that had easy-grips (instead of just being cylindrical) would be nice, and even some with an arrow on... turn this way to isolate, turn this way to open... the search begins...

The plastic cap you've got is a lockshield cap - it's just to cover the top of the valve. The lockshield valve is there to enable you to balance the system hence needing a tool to turn it - once set it should be left alone.

The Screwfix link is for a replacement lockshield cap.

I suspect that the reason you've no hot water is because you've depressurised your system and the boiler senses this and won't run

Just fit a lockshield cover - that's what's needed on the opposite end to the TRV

Thanks, I do get that, but I would like something that stays in place too - the grey plastic cap I have at the moment just jiggles around. I went out to Wickes earlier and I bought this... utter crap:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Replacement-Radiator-Cap-XT/p/425085

The cover for the spindle doesn't seem to want to stay inside the cap... the instructions appear to be no help and there's only 1 spindle cover that would fit the radiator spindle anyway, but 2 caps! What a very strange product.

Only £1.69 and got 15% off because of Jesus(!) so I'm not moaning too much... interesting, failed, experiment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back