Removing/Refitting WC Pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I could do with some help on waste fittings please. I need to remove the pan to decorate & hopefully tidy what looks like a bit of a bodge job. Hopefully here's a pic of three issues:

IMG_0015-1.jpg

First is the joint in the soil pipe to the left. What is this type of joint & can it be easily broken & remade?

Next is where the waste outlet from the WC joins the soil pipe. Looks like this has been crudely hacked & inserted at an odd angle. Again, what is this joint likely to be & how can I improve it when refitting. Flexible waste outlet to get proper alignment?

Lastly the waste outlet has an inlet to the right that takes the waste from the washbasin next door. Are these still readily available & in flexible?

Sponsored Links
First is the joint in the soil pipe to the left. What is this type of joint & can it be easily broken & remade?

Looks like some sort of solvent joint, so no. It doesn't look too bad compared to some, though we don't know what's to the left.
You could cut it off shorter, and use a longer L shaped pan connector, if someone makes one.

"Next is where the waste outlet from the WC joins the soil pipe. Looks like this has been crudely hacked & inserted at an odd angle. "
That's normal, just a push-in fitting both ends of the L.

"Again, what is this joint likely to be & how can I improve it when refitting."
Don't worry about it. You're restricted to what fittings you can buy. All makes are slightly different dimensions. You won't improve it much, so if it offends your eye, box it in, tile it etc.

"Flexible waste outlet to get proper alignment?"
Avoid. They all look hideous and provide maximum rough inner surface. The water doesn't know it's not exactly aligned and all the joints go from a smaller bore to a larger one so alignment isn't very important.

"Lastly the waste outlet has an inlet to the right that takes the waste from the washbasin next door. Are these still readily available & in flexible?"
Still available, but wouldn't know about flexible because I'd never use one unless there was no option.
Check the catalogues for dimensions of what's available. There are many online.

Looks like some sort of solvent joint, so no.

Push fit with rubber "o" ring, not solvent joint.

OP, you might be able to remove the short pipe from branch socket but it will be very stiff.

Daniel.

Yep - pushfit soil pipe connector with a piece of pipe shoved in to allow for the pan connector with the WHB connection.

There are various ways of tidying this mess up but it depends o the space available that isn't shown in your pictures.

Avoid all flexible connectors if at all possible.

Sponsored Links
You think it's looks like a bodge now, imagine what it would look like with flexi's all over the place!

There are various ways of tidying this mess up but it depends on the space available that isn't shown in your pictures.
Space is pretty much non-existent, which is why it's like it is I guess. As well as tidying I was hoping to improve the flow as it's quite prone to blocking. I'm guessing having the 90° waste pipe fitted at an angle certainly isn't helping. Not sure how well it comes across in the pic but the WC outlet isn't just a little out of line.

It's a close-coupled set so no scope for moving the pan to correct the alignment, which is why I was thinking of flexi. A bit radical but I could consider replacing the pan & cistern. May not be a bad idea as the flush valve failed a few years back & there was no direct replacement available. It was a Pacific with a soft flush paddle so I finished up with a dual flush but with one of those nasty chrome/plastic collars to house the buttons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back