Removing roof joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help. I’m removing the ceiling above what will be a bathroom to have a tall pitched ceiling with a roof light.
Am I right in thinking these ceiling joists are not structural and can be removed? I’ll be filing the hole with a brick.

Let me know! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Removing ceiling joists, without understanding the construction of your roof can be a bad idea.
Ceiling joists can tie together the feet of the rafters.
Removing the joists could allow the thrust from the rafters to push out and spread the supporting walls.

I've asked for this post to be moved to the 'Building' section for some appropriate responses! :)

Ah thanks. Sorry I forgot to attach the pictures. They run in the opposite way to the roof rafters.
They also are a bit wobbly and don’t seem to be supporting anything.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 748D1950-B4C2-4B64-864F-CFCB3B3C33D1.jpeg
    748D1950-B4C2-4B64-864F-CFCB3B3C33D1.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 89
  • B345E73A-CF3D-428A-9855-9B0141BB98C9.jpeg
    B345E73A-CF3D-428A-9855-9B0141BB98C9.jpeg
    348.5 KB · Views: 78
I will leave the experts to have their opinion, but it looks ok to me as a DIY'er.
What are your plans for insulation?
Have you got ventilation at the eaves and ridge, to allow cross ventilation above the new insulation?

...and I may be wrong, but if the wall is a party wall, you may also need to insulate the section of wall above the current ceiling level, as it would be bordering your neighbours uninsulated roofspace.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ah noted, wasn’t aware of that but something I’ll add to the list.
The whole roof is getting replaced and ventilation etc is being taken care of.

Thanks a lot

You really need to consult a structural engineer before removing them, it may well affect the strength of the gable end wall.

Some photos of the outside would be informative.

What is on the other side of the walls?

The joists don't seem to be doing anything.

However, this is controlled works and should be subject to building regulation approval for at least fire safety, thermal insulation, ventilation as well as structural.

Thanks for your replies.
I’ve attached a picture of the external wall.

-@^woody^ I’ve spoken to building control and they said I can give building notice for the actual roof which will all be insulated, ventilated etc.. do you still think I would need to go through building regs for removing the ceiling joists if I can confirm they’re not structural?

Thanks,
Sam

Attachments

• C959A2E4-0255-4BD1-856E-06389852C944.jpeg
    C959A2E4-0255-4BD1-856E-06389852C944.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 22

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back